cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Hey Mike

I just got called as YM president in my ward. Do you have any advice?

We have 4 deacons and 1 teacher; no priests. It's a small, but good group.

We have a nascent Scounting program.

Any words of wisdom from your experience in working with the young men (and with YM presidents) would be greatly appreciated.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I just got called as YM president in my ward. Do you have any advice?

We have 4 deacons and 1 teacher; no priests. It's a small, but good group.

We have a nascent Scounting program.

Any words of wisdom from your experience in working with the young men (and with YM presidents) would be greatly appreciated.
Run and don't look back.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

1. be close to the boys, be someone they admire due to your standards, your friendliness, your generosity, and your genuine caring.
2. emphasize testimony where appropriate.
3. work on getting an effective scouting program.
4. advocate with your Bishop for talented, effective people to help you in the YM program.
5. expect this will be a huge time-suck, and you will have to sacrifice many things, including hobbies and time with your family.
6. be reliable. you set the tone for everyone else. if you are flaking, everyone else will flake worse.
7. expect no thanks, esp. from boys and parents.
8. work to get the parents involved and take some of the responsibility.
9. along those lines, see that an effective scout committee is going on with parental involvement.
10. insist on your scout leaders being trained by your local district.
11. read through the safety rules for YM program. Follow them.
12. read through safety rules for scouting. Insist your scout leaders follow them w/o exception.
13. Foster leadership among the boys, meaning take the time to train them as leaders instead of doing it on your own. It will always be easier to do it on your own.
14. Allow them to fail from time to time. It's part of learning.
15. Make sure you have a budget--that is, that the Bishop has given you money. Make it very clear to the people under you what the budget policies are going to be. Never put pressure on the YM leaders to not submit receipts, assuming they are appropriate.
16. Get the Scout committee and others involved in fund-raising, sooner than later. You will need Bishopric backing for this. If the Bishop won't back you up, then merely say "this is what we can do with finances, this is what we cannot."
17. work to make sure no boy is excluded because of lack of funds.

I could go on and on, but I have to get to YM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Mike. These are really helpful insights.

I get sustained Sep. 6; two people in the presidency are great, and I'm replacing one. The scoutmaster could be more committed . . . We have such a small group, I think the scoutmaster doesn't see how it's worth it.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Thanks, Mike. These are really helpful insights.

I get sustained Sep. 6; two people in the presidency are great, and I'm replacing one. The scoutmaster could be more committed . . . We have such a small group, I think the scoutmaster doesn't see how it's worth it.
that's why the training is important.

Are they camping every month?

Make sure the scoutmaster has a couple assistant scoutmasters.

Support the SM by going on campouts, you should attend probably every month at the beginning, then back off.

Monthly presidency meetings. Make sure the SM is in attendance. Ideally, the SM should be a counselor in the presidency, with such a small group.

Have the Scouts hook up with another ward for the occasional campout, and perhaps go in with another ward for summer camp. This helps with the adult leadership.

I don't know how you can have an effective YM program in the church without a scouting program. The scouting program is the activity arm of the YM.

One of your other counselors should be in charge of Duty to God, and oversee that program.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote