cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For those of you who desire government centrally controlled economies

what causes you to trust government to do it well and in a beneficial manner?

This applies to all of those left of the centerline median. Apparently, you believe a centrally controlled economy is better than a market driven economy. Of course, I would debate you until the cows come home, and use one example.

While China experienced a centrally controlled and dictated economy, it was an ecnomic failure. Only after Deng XioPing implementd free marketstyle reforms did its economy improve and produce sufficient for its peoples. Most of its current problems involve growing too quickly and unwise government controls.

Why do you trust government to do anything it has never done on a large scale in the known history of the world?

What makes you think, maybe next time the morons in government will get it right?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

This applies to all of those left of the centerline median. Apparently, you believe a centrally controlled economy is better than a market driven economy.
I'm not very far left economically.

But we don't live in a vacuum. I think we need some level of intervention.

Government controls are necessary in cases where there is no economic advantage for corporations to do what is best for our society.

Environmental regulations are one example. You only need to drive through Montana to see what happens when corporations are allowed to operate unregulated.

Do we want market-driven employment? After watching Oklahoma City's three major employers close up shop and send the jobs overseas for cheaper labor, I'm not sure we do.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 AM   #3
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

This applies to all of those left of the centerline median. Apparently, you believe a centrally controlled economy is better than a market driven economy. Of course, I would debate you until the cows come home, and use one example.

While China experienced a centrally controlled and dictated economy, it was an ecnomic failure. Only after Deng XioPing implementd free marketstyle reforms did its economy improve and produce sufficient for its peoples. Most of its current problems involve growing too quickly and unwise government controls.

Why do you trust government to do anything it has never done on a large scale in the known history of the world?

What makes you think, maybe next time the morons in government will get it right?
Do you think monopolies are a good thing? How about corporations injecting massive influence and dinero into our political system?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post

Do we want market-driven employment? After watching Oklahoma City's three major employers close up shop and send the jobs overseas for cheaper labor, I'm not sure we do.
What do you tell your kids when they lose a soccer game?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

I don't think Archaea is saying there should be no regulation.

IMO, there should be a presumption of no intervention except to combat specific problems (such as those listed by BG and SC).

The reason I want a market-driven economy, is because it maximizes the production for all. Sure, outsourcing jobs overseas sucks for those who lost their jobs, but the result is that the products are cheaper for everybody.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
I tell my little leaguers when they lose a ball game that the other team played better and if they want to win the next game, they need to play harder and listen to the coach (me).

Then I make them run wind sprints until they all puke.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #7
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post

IMO, there should be a presumption of no intervention except to combat specific problems (such as those listed by BG and SC).

The reason I want a market-driven economy, is because it maximizes the production for all. Sure, outsourcing jobs overseas sucks for those who lost their jobs, but the result is that the products are cheaper for everybody.
The main issue that complicates things for me in this debate is that there is a big difference between a global free market and an American free market.

Nowadays, we're encountering new issues for which there is little precedent (global megacorportations, etc).
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:34 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
Sure, outsourcing jobs overseas sucks for those who lost their jobs, but the result is that the products are cheaper for everybody.
Hey, I understand the counter-argument. But it's not goods-related (i.e., manufacturing) jobs anymore. It's software development, customer support, medical records, publishing. How far do we want this to go?

Quote:
I don't think he is either, but he specifically called out all those on the left of the axis as being in support of a centrally-controlled market. Since I was on the left I was responding.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:37 AM   #9
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I tell my little leaguers when they lose a ball game that the other team played better and if they want to win the next game, they need to play harder and listen to the coach (me).

Then I make them run wind sprints until they all puke.
You mean you don't whine about the refs or shrink the size of your own goal so it's harder for the other team to score or try to get away with playing with more than 11 players on the field? What's wrong with you?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Hey, I understand the counter-argument. But it's not goods-related (i.e., manufacturing) jobs anymore. It's software development, customer support, medical records, publishing. How far do we want this to go?
As far as it will go. Why do we need to worry about stopping something that is ultimately the best solution for the most people, in terms of obtaining or increasing wealth?