cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #41
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Congrats, il Pad. You've officially done the Dance of Death.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Which has already been answered in very simple, straight-forward language.

The limits he proposes cover territory not also covered by the 2nd Amendment. He can support a ban on assault weapons AND favor the 2nd Amendment because the 2nd Amendment doesn't protect assault weapons.

Why is this so hard? It is as if you keep asking "how can he like ice cream if he likes steak?" Well, he likes both, and one has nothing to do with the other.
I'll take your refusal to answer the question as admitting that you are as anti-2nd amendment as Obama is.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #43
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Congrats, il Pad. You've officially done the Dance of Death.
I did?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are you suggesting we all have a right to own every weapon used by the national guard? Seriously?
We have the right to arm ourselves to the point we could be effective foot-soldiers in a militia.

Your grandfather's bolt-action hunting rifle (sorry, someone else's grandfather's) does not allow you be an effective foot-soldier in a militia.

We really do live in a society where the cost of freedom is completely divorced from modern life. We have no draft. The military is populated by the poor and low-middle and middle-middle class. The word "citizen" doesn't mean anything.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #45
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Are you suggesting we all have a right to own every weapon used by the national guard? Seriously?
By the way, I do find it tremendously amusing that in your worst case dream world where the government turns tyranical and decides to destroy American citizens everywhere, the difference between life and death in the battle royale against the imperial US Army will be whether or not you own an AK-47. Sure, they could drop giant bombs on your home with fighter jets, or launch them from bases around the world, or nuke your neighborhood, but those weapons will have no effect on you or your fellow patriots armed with an assault rifle!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #46
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'll take your refusal to answer the question as admitting that you are as anti-2nd amendment as Obama is.
I take your response to mean that your title of "board pinhead" is not, in fact, an honorary title.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
By the way, I do find it tremendously amusing that in your worst case dream world where the government turns tyranical and decides to destroy American citizens everywhere, the difference between life and death in the battle royale against the imperial US Army will be whether or not you own an AK-47. Sure, they could drop giant bombs on your home with fighter jets, or launch them from bases around the world, or nuke your neighborhood, but those weapons will have no effect on you or your fellow patriots armed with an assault rifle!
You are such a damned moron, that it is staggering.

You personally look at the recent history of Vietnam, USSR in Afghanistan, USA in Afghanistan, and Iraq and have concluded that small-arms insurgency is ineffective.

You sir, know nothing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #48
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You are such a damned moron, that it is staggering.

You personally look at the recent history of Vietnam, USSR in Afghanistan, USA in Afghanistan, and Iraq and have concluded that small-arms insurgency is ineffective.

You sir, know nothing.
No, Waters. I have assumed that small-arms insurgency is effective when it is undertaken against a rational foreign power. If, in fact, the US government decides that it is literally going to go to war with its own citizens, and make the destruction of a large segment of the citizenry its primary goal, I am of the strong opinion that your ownership of an AK-47 is going to be a fairly amusing anecdote in the anals of history.

I would also note that the weapons largely used in Afghanistan and Iraq and Vietnam were not owned by the citizenry at large PRIOR to the war.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #49
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ah. Got it. You want to have a debate about the legal meaning of a legal instrument that contains zero legal analysis. Makes sense.

I would like to discuss economics but only if we limit the discussion to our favorite food additives.
I'm speaking about the politic merits, not the legal meaning. You state an axiom which is meaningless, all rights are circumscribed. Duh, sherlock, tell me something meaningful.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #50
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I take your response to mean that your title of "board pinhead" is not, in fact, an honorary title.
Perhaps not. But Mike will confirm that it was a request.