cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #31
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Here's a novel idea.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
So if Stevens retires (fairly likely, he's been hanging on, patiently), Obama appoints a liberal, no real change in the makeup of the court, right? The big change from a conservative point of view is if Kennedy or one of the Cons quits or dies. Otherwise, why would they be bitching? Because the train to stack the court with right wing ideologues is slowed?
how about judges that don't legislate from the bench.....from either party. I know that would be a stretch.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

One more thing: There are a wide variety of belief systems represented in the churches that sponsor BSA troops. Unitarians, for example, are pretty liberal. Many of these churches are quite permissive with respect to premarital sex, unwed couples living together, etc. And many scout troops are sponsored by non-religious entities. The BSA never stepped in and made exclusions based on these cases. But, by golly, let's not let any queers into the system.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #33
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I believe the concern, genius, is that some homosexual would've tried to force himself into an LDS troop.
The concern as far as the LDS church went was the LDS scouts would be exposed to gay leaders at camp or other meetings involving non-LDS units. It would not have affected LDS troops directly because each sponsoring organization has the right to choose its own leaders, and even losing the case would not have changed that. What would have happened is that the organizations that didn't have a problem with gay leaders would have been allowed to have them.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by exute View Post
the hen house. Most gay men are pedophiles and perverts. Sounds like you caught the gay.........hook line and sinker.

No you can't be my son's scoutmaster. Sorry.
q.e.d.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #35
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
how about judges that don't legislate from the bench.....from either party. I know that would be a stretch.
Yup. It's a stretch as long as either party is in power.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #36
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Hey Babs, check out the stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I'm so glad someone finally admitted what this is really all about.

Thank you, ex.
and the number of partners the average gay man has over their lifetime. Care to take a guess? Do your research and return and report.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #37
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It's your argument, Tex. BSA would "be destroyed" because a subset of the parents wouldn't be comfortable with an organization that is friendly to gays.
It's not my argument such discomfort is bigotry.

Quote:
More fear-mongering. This is all part of that secret gay agenda, right?

You are dodging again. The rule was based on orientation only. Not lifestyle, not promiscuity. Orientation.
It's not fear mongering, and I don't know if it's part of any agenda. All I know is, a ruling the other way would've prevented the LDS church from removing a homosexual scoutmaster.

Promiscuity is irrelevant. The Scouts believe that the orientation is wrong, and they have a right to block someone from serving who believes otherwise. Would it have made you feel better if the Court had instituted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy for gay scoutmasters?

Quote:
That's bigotry in my book.
Yes, we got it. Say it one more time to make you feel better.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
The concern as far as the LDS church went was the LDS scouts would be exposed to gay leaders at camp or other meetings involving non-LDS units. It would not have affected LDS troops directly because each sponsoring organization has the right to choose its own leaders, and even losing the case would not have changed that. What would have happened is that the organizations that didn't have a problem with gay leaders would have been allowed to have them.
I don't believe that. We're hypothesizing now. IMO, there's a high likelihood that a removed gay LDS troopmaster would have chosen to sue under Dale. And had the court gone the other way, I think he would win.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-29-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #39
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
and the number of partners the average gay man has over their lifetime. Care to take a guess? Do your research and return and report.
WHAT does the number of consensual adult partners have to do with your allegations of pedophilia? Your bigotry is really showing here, ex.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
It's not my argument such discomfort is bigotry.
You haven't made an argument that it isn't. The issue is not the definition of bigotry but your stated reason why the BSA would be "destroyed".

Quote:
Promiscuity is irrelevant. The Scouts believe that the orientation is wrong, and they have a right to block someone from serving who believes otherwise. Would it have made you feel better if the Court had instituted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy for gay scoutmasters?
Again, you are being purposely obtuse (surprise!). I agree it was the right legal decision. But it is a shame that it had to come on a case like this. This is a hollow victory.