cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default obama VP pick to come this week?

It almost has to with the convention a week away. I no longer think it will be Bayh. I now think (and hope) it will be Biden. He would be excellent, even though he let's his mouth run a bit at times.

I do not like Obama's statement about looking to Nunn for advice. I don't particularly care for Nunn. While he is superb on foreign policy, his domestic policy isn't at all desirable. I hope Obama wasn't telegraphing Nunn as a pick.

My top choice would have been Warner, but he withdrew his name in June. Edwards is clearly out. Bayh is good, but he isn't strong on national security and that may emerge as a bigger issue than the economy by November (Russia, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, China, etc).

Webb also would have been good (he has questionable statements about women, but those were a long time ago and he appears to have changed and is great on national security). He also withdrew.

Powell would be fantastic, but I don't think he is interested.

Richardson is solid, but he says incredibly stupid things on occasion.

I hope for Biden.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Biden will be the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It almost has to with the convention a week away. I no longer think it will be Bayh. I now think (and hope) it will be Biden. He would be excellent, even though he let's his mouth run a bit at times.

I do not like Obama's statement about looking to Nunn for advice. I don't particularly care for Nunn. While he is superb on foreign policy, his domestic policy isn't at all desirable. I hope Obama wasn't telegraphing Nunn as a pick.

My top choice would have been Warner, but he withdrew his name in June. Edwards is clearly out. Bayh is good, but he isn't strong on national security and that may emerge as a bigger issue than the economy by November (Russia, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, China, etc).

Webb also would have been good (he has questionable statements about women, but those were a long time ago and he appears to have changed and is great on national security). He also withdrew.

Powell would be fantastic, but I don't think he is interested.

Richardson is solid, but he says incredibly stupid things on occasion.

I hope for Biden.
Plus it really doesn't matter. Obama guaranteed a victory yesterday, either way.

Wonder why Edwards' actions have doomed him? It didn't doom Clinton.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Obama's advisers have been running around convincing CEOs he's pro-business. Obama-Bayh would mean he's serious.

Edwards on ticket would mean his entire economics team would resign. Goodness he's out of the picture.

I'd say anybody who's publicly said anything bad about Walmart should not be considered. Chuck Joe biden out the window.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/17/wa...gewanted=print

Since we're gonna win anyway, we have the luxury of focusing on governing.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Obama's advisers have been running around convincing CEOs he's pro-business. Obama-Bayh would mean he's serious.

Edwards on ticket would mean his entire economics team would resign. Goodness he's out of the picture.

I'd say anybody who's publicly said anything bad about Walmart should not be considered. Chuck Joe biden out the window.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/17/wa...gewanted=print

Since we're gonna win anyway, we have the luxury of focusing on governing.
It doesn't really matter, Obama has the win gift-wrapped and we're f...ed.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It doesn't really matter, Obama has the win gift-wrapped and we're f...ed.
Are you even paying attention? It's now "above his pay grade" to answer debate questions. He says he consults his America-hating wife on matters of foreign affairs. I think it's a stretch to say he has the win gift wrapped, unless you mean he's wrapping it up to give to McCain.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

NB: I don't really think Michelle hates America.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Are you even paying attention? It's now "above his pay grade" to answer debate questions. He says he consults his America-hating wife on matters of foreign affairs. I think it's a stretch to say he has the win gift wrapped, unless you mean he's wrapping it up to give to McCain.
You and I worry from different angles.

You now remind me when I worried that Reagan would lose to Carter and thereafter to Mondale.

Obama wins by those sorts of margins. McCain may become this generation's Barry Goldwater.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Where's your faith, Babs? The long-awaited African American who will break the shackles of social injustice and lead the middle class out of a generation of stagnation has finally come. Nothing can prevent this from coming to pass.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Obama wins by those sorts of margins. McCain may become this generation's Barry Goldwater.
McCain is no Goldwater. (Ain't that the truth!) There's no way Obama could win in a landslide. There are probably twenty states that Barack couldn't carry if the Almighty himself came down and endorsed him, my state among them.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Where's your faith, Babs? The long-awaited African American who will break the shackles of social injustice and lead the middle class out of a generation of stagnation has finally come. Nothing can prevent this from coming to pass.
Yeah he'll give us the stagflation of the Carter years. I can hardly wait. He has nothing for the middle class, as he vacations in Hawaii during the Russian Georgia crisis. Harvard, Hawaii, sounds like a middle class guy to me.