cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hillary is done

The only way she can win is by blowing up the Dem party, calling in every favor, strongarming superdelegates, and forcing the party to accept Michigan and Florida delegates. I don't think there is any way she can win the nomination and the general election. The collateral damage would be too great. Man I hope this happens.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I am afraid you are right. The Democratic party commits suicide once again. When you let the fringes do the talking you end up with crappy candidates (like John Kerry) and IMO Barack Obama.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The only way she can win is by blowing up the Dem party, calling in every favor, strongarming superdelegates, and forcing the party to accept Michigan and Florida delegates. I don't think there is any way she can win the nomination and the general election. The collateral damage would be too great. Man I hope this happens.
She will. Watch her.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I am afraid you are right. The Democratic party commits suicide once again. When you let the fringes do the talking you end up with crappy candidates (like John Kerry) and IMO Barack Obama.
Yeah. It was a close call, but the Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again.

Who in the world would have thought the GOP could hold onto the White House? It's still not a given, obviously, but the more I research Obama's legislative history, the more I realize he's got, in those immortal words, "a lot of 'splainin' to do." On the other hand, I don't think the Dems could have won with Hillary. The red voters would have turned out in droves just to keep her out.

McCain's has weaknesses, too. There's his age and his inability to speak coherently. Although if the media continues to spin Obama's rhetorical powers as a negative, the latter could actually work in McCain's favor. The real weakness I see for McCain is that at this point he's making even Romney envious with all his flip-flopping; and instead of the maverick willing to stand up to the party, he's sounding more and more like just another war-mongering neocon. Last week he even reversed his stance on enhanced interrogation, which I never could have imagined him doing. And what's this with the 100 years war? That won't play well.

But Obama has provided McCain's campaign with tons of fodder. McCain should be able to pull off the win if he gets a little help from the architects of the swiftboating attack.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 02-20-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typo
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
She will. Watch her.
Originally I thought so, but at this point I don't think there's any way the party would allow the Convention to overturn the popular vote. Unless Barack just plain doesn't show up in Ohio and Texas, he's got the nomination won.

The only other possibility would be if Barack mysteriously ends his campaign and cedes the nomination to Hillary, and I really don't think the powers that be have sunk to mob tactics yet...have they?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

3 weeks ago, Obama was something like 17 points behind in Texas. Now it is deadlocked.

I'm laughing at the notion that Hillary would be a strong general election candidate, but Barrack would be weaker. That is not borne out in the polling, nor by what sees in front of ones eyes.

With the dems doubling up the GOP in the primary voting, it would be very foolish to think the GOP is going to walk away with this easy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Who in the world would have thought the GOP could hold onto the White House? It's still not a given, obviously, but the more I research Obama's legislative history, the more I realize he's got, in those immortal words, "a lot of 'splainin' to do." On the other hand, I don't think the Dems could have won with Hillary. The red voters would have turned out in droves just to keep her out.
Obama's legislative accomplishments.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...s_n_87493.html
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I can't name any of Hillary's accomplishments. I'm sure there is something in her record someone could think of as an accomplishment, but I am not aware of it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Staying married to a pathological philanderer might be considered an accomplishment.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

What does this mean? Asking pledged (non-super) delegates to vote against their pledge?

Quote:
In a sign of desperation, the Clinton camp floated the idea of poaching delegates that Obama earned via elections. While allowable under Democratic National Committee rules, the tactic would likely divide Democrats along racial lines and set the party back decades.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_campaignp...line_wisconsin