cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Wow, Seattle and Mike on the right side of the same issue. When will that happen again.

And Sooner and woot on the wrong side again.

Having concealed weapons requires practice boys and girls. Make certain you make your weekly trek to the gun range. Our neighbors are lucky enough he built a gun ruan underneath his garage and driveway. It's a cool thing to have.

So who has a nine millimeter or a forty caliber?

Do you have buckshot in your shotguns?

What sort of gun safes do you have? I recommend a battery operated key coded one.

Do your rifles have scopes?
I do not recommend a battery operated key coded safe. Why? Because batteries fail. I recommend systems that do not rely on electricity.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
one step further. Those of you that are upstanding citizens, with good moral judgment, who believe in a free society free from murder and other crimes....I posit that you have a moral duty to arm yourselves. In order to protect yourself, your families, your community, the constitution, and this country.

Now, I realize not everyone is going to make this choice. But is it wrong for me to have respect for those that are willing to take on this moral burden? Why do some of you shrink from this burden?

Now, I am not advocating machismo, or vigilantism, or anything of the sort. I'm not saying you have to appreciate guns or enjoy the use of them. I'm saying that by arming yourself, you have taken upon yourself a critical duty that our forefathers saw as defense of this country.

Now if you want to be the equivalent of a conscientious objector, that's fine. But please don't criticize those who aren't. Even the justified killing of another man in self-defense is poison to the soul, but we don't recognize the weight of that. The burden of that. Some would rather die, and I can respect that also. But not all of us want to die.
Of course we all realize that this life is the end of our existence and that's why we want to cling to it at all costs.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Of course we all realize that this life is the end of our existence and that's why we want to cling to it at all costs.
If you rely on the arm of flesh, you will die by the arm of flesh. A pacifistic reliance on God is something that I can respect. But like I said, some of us prefer not to die at the hands of evil men.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you rely on the arm of flesh, you will die by the arm of flesh. A pacifistic reliance on God is something that I can respect. But like I said, some of us prefer not to die at the hands of evil men.
General Patton once said: "The object of war is not to die for your country but let the other poor SOB die for his."

I am all for retreating and avoiding taking human life as much as possible. However, when the life you protect is not your own and is someone who is helpless, like my kids or wife, there is no option to retreat. You can't just scoop up the kids and walk away. You can't just give them the keys to your car ("hey wait a sec, let me get the car seats out of the back here..."). You are vulnerable, and criminals know it.

This is also why I am glad to live in a state that passed Castle Doctrine laws this past year.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #25
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I shot a BB gun once. It didn't do anything for me.

That's like saying I don't like steak because I once ate a McDonalds hamburger and it didn't do anything for me.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The only thing a BB gun will stop is a Frenchman.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #27
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I'm all for the right to carry arms. I don't own a gun myself, but have been considering getting one. I'll probably hold off until I can afford to do it right...get a good gun safe, etc.

My dad had some hunting rifles in his closet most of my life. I knew where they were, and occasionally snuck in to check them out. He'd taken a vital part of the firing mechanism out (can't remember offhand what it was), and kept them hidden (I was never able to find them, although I never looked particularly hard. I was more afraid of stumbling onto my parent's collection of lingerie, and the associated nightmares).

I guess, my contribution to the thread is:
-People shouldn't be REQUIRED to own guns.
-People shouldn't be REQUIRED to NOT own guns.
-There should be a realistic standard of responsibility required for anyone wishing to purchase a gun.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

This discussion reminds me of a snippet from Bowling for Columbine.

Michael Moore is talking to James Nichols at his home and James is discussing his views on the OKC bombing and the investigation that followed.

James claimed to sleep with a loaded .44 under his pillow. Michael Moore questions whether he is exaggerating. After some coaxing, James takes Moore over to his pillow and, sure enough, a loaded .44 under his pillow.

I guess I dont see the need. Maybe I live in a bubble or ignorant of the peril all around me. Thank goodness.

I also found it interesting that Moore continues his conversation with Nichols and a discussion about the right to bear arms ensues. The question becomes, "at what point do we impost limits on which "arms" people can bear?" Since the constitution does not specifically mention guns, is weapons-grade plutonium my right to own in my house? Can I arm myself with that?

I will pass on the guns and hopefully nobody breaks into my house. And if someone breaks into my house, they can have my TV. I can always buy another.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I guess, my contribution to the thread is:
-People shouldn't be REQUIRED to own guns.
-People shouldn't be REQUIRED to NOT own guns.
-There should be a realistic standard of responsibility required for anyone wishing to purchase a gun.
You would not like living in Virgin, Utah.

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a4a1e7d5f0e.htm

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are you sure you fit the criteria?

I know how to properly secure guns and am not prone to suicide. The rest of it is relative, isn't it?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote