cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 AM   #41
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Considering all that Romney has going for him, money money money, views in line with the conservatative base, articulate, youth, good looks, attractive family, family dynasty in early populous primary, former governor, governor of hugely populous and sophisticated state, big head start in campaigning and leading polls in key early states, hopelessly flawed opponents, economy turning out the be the major issue, spectacular success in business, he sure has turned out to be a punchless candidate. It's like that year the Lakers signed Malone, Payton, Shaq, etc. and couldn't win the division.
I am stunned that he has gone as far as he has. Don't kid yourself. He has over-achieved.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 AM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
It really wasn't meant to be degree smack. I was trying to be funny. I clearly failed. UofC in my discipline is the home of the "efficient market hypothesis." Anyone who has a PhD in Finance from UofC usually views the efficient market hypothesis the way we might view the book of Mormon; its the keystone of our religion. I am duty bound to hold the betting market and all other financial markets in such high regard. I was trying to poke fun at myself and how seriously I take signals from the market. You are right that I should have not said anything or found a way to say it without mentioning the degree. I am sorry that it come off so poorly.
I owe you an apology. I thought it was out of character, and I should've considered that.

I guess I take enough flack on this site, I can occasionally get on edge, but that's no excuse. Thanks for clarifying.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #43
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am stunned that he has gone as far as he has. Don't kid yourself. He has over-achieved.
I would think so. A Mormon Governor from Mass and all the baggage that brings with it. McCain has been in the limelight for so long, is such a media favorite, and has run before. Good showing by Mitt.

I really don't see McCain ever being president and wonder if he won't go down as a Repub Walter Mondale. He has already lost the conservatie talk radio crowd; not a good harbinger.

Having made this run, Mitt should come back in four years.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #44
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
So is McCain the nominee then? With Giuiliani hinting of dropping, Thompson gone, and Huckabee broke, It really is down to Romney and McCain. Knowing that, is Florida really a must win for Romney as much as you guys are saying?
Yeah, that's my question. Mitt comes from way behind in Florida (look at his recent trend) to miss by only 3-4%. Is this as dire as folks are making it out? Seems premature to me. But what do I know?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:18 AM   #45
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Well, that's too bad. Romney will probably stick around, but really moves solidly into the "longshot" category with tonight's loss. One wonders what would've happened had Huckabee not split the conservative vote with him.

With McCain as it's nominee the Republican party is going to be in a weird place, no longer headed by someone who has any claim on conservatism. He might beat Hillary; I doubt he beats Obama.

Tja, we had to have Carter in order to appreciate Reagan, right?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 AM   #46
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
One wonders what would've happened had Huckabee not split the conservative vote with him.
Huckabee should be well aware that the longer he stays in the campaign, the more he hurts Romney's chances. It is now apparent that he has no chance to get the nomination, but he can decide whether to crush Romney's campaign by waiting a week to bow out rather than doing so tomorrow.

I'll save this country from that no-good Joe Smith cult worshipper...
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:30 AM   #47
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Huckabee should be well aware that the longer he stays in the campaign, the more he hurts Romney's chances. It is now apparent that he has no chance to get the nomination, but he can decide whether to crush Romney's campaign by waiting a week to bow out rather than doing so tomorrow.

I'll save this country from that no-good Joe Smith cult worshipper...
He's staying in for sure. He is dumb enough to think McCain would actually choose him as VP.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 AM   #48
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Well, that's too bad. Romney will probably stick around, but really moves solidly into the "longshot" category with tonight's loss. One wonders what would've happened had Huckabee not split the conservative vote with him.

With McCain as it's nominee the Republican party is going to be in a weird place, no longer headed by someone who has any claim on conservatism. He might beat Hillary; I doubt he beats Obama.

Tja, we had to have Carter in order to appreciate Reagan, right?
I am honestly shocked that people are already naming McCain the unavoidable nominee.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 AM   #49
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am honestly shocked that people are already naming McCain the unavoidable nominee.
what states will Romney win?

What big names have endorsed Romney?

Huckabee prevents Romney from winning in southern states.

even if they went to convention, every other single candidate would endorse McCain.

Talk by reporters of GOP power brokers "consolidating" around McCain.

In polls, Romney's electability in general election is low.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #50
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what states will Romney win?

What big names have endorsed Romney?

Huckabee prevents Romney from winning in southern states.

even if they went to convention, every other single candidate would endorse McCain.

Talk by reporters of GOP power brokers "consolidating" around McCain.

In polls, Romney's electability in general election is low.
Cougarboard is in full meltdown mode tonight.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote