cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #31
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Now I'm wrong? How exactly ... lol ... you can't carry on a conversation without definatively stating you are right and someone else is wrong. Think about that woot ... think about.

And Don't change definitions now that you have been challenged -Il padrino postd the definition -go look at it.

You shuned Mormonism due to fear and cowardice. Own up to it -don't try to make your decision appear as something more.
I really hope you realize how little sense you are making. The only fear involved in shunning Mormonism for me was how my wife, entire family, and all my friends would handle it. Why is "cowardice" the default assumption of so many on the Right? Suicide bombers are always "cowards," for instance. I'm guessing that the term is used only because it's insulting, not because it actually means anything.

Also, I'm well aware of the definition of "bigotry," but as discussed before, under the dictionary's definition every single person is bigoted about 99.9% of everything and the term loses all meaning. The dictionary does not define words, it only reflects popular usage. Please explain how you're using it so that it means something other than simple disagreement.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You mean like this?:
I have to agree with you there. That does fit under the same broad definition.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #33
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You mean like this?:
Please explain why the onus should be on Mormonism to change? Also please explain this contradictory position considering your continued criticism for actions you have deemed as changing to appear more mainstream?

Better yet, nut up and call a spade a spade -it's bigotry in all instances and should not be tolerated.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Please explain why the onus should be on Mormonism to change? Also please explain this contradictory position considering your continued criticism for actions you have deemed as changing to appear more mainstream?

Better yet, nut up and call a spade a spade -it's bigotry in all instances and should not be tolerated.
I don't think Mormonism needs to pander to Babylon. Bad move.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #35
ilmf

ilmf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The reality is Mormons are not freaky ... Mormons do not need to change ... Americans in general are ignorant and NEED to change!
I was trying to take you serious until I read that. I haven't finished reading the entire thread to know if that was tongue-in-cheek or not.

Last edited by ilmf; 01-06-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo
ilmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #36
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I really hope you realize how little sense you are making. The only fear involved in shunning Mormonism for me was how my wife, entire family, and all my friends would handle it. Why is "cowardice" the default assumption of so many on the Right? Suicide bombers are always "cowards," for instance. I'm guessing that the term is used only because it's insulting, not because it actually means anything.

Also, I'm well aware of the definition of "bigotry," but as discussed before, under the dictionary's definition every single person is bigoted about 99.9% of everything and the term loses all meaning. The dictionary does not define words, it only reflects popular usage. Please explain how you're using it so that it means something other than simple disagreement.
The problem is I am making perfect sense and it vexes you. You want this discussion to be about me -so that you can belittle and hopefully make your self feel better about yourself. I want this discussion to be about bigotry. Interesting difference isn't there?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #37
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The problem is I am making perfect sense and it vexes you. You want this discussion to be about me -so that you can belittle and hopefully make your self feel better about yourself. I want this discussion to be about bigotry. Interesting difference isn't there?
No really, you're not making any sense. In this case, because you ignored my inquiries about bigotry and tried to make this about you while claiming I'm trying to make it about you and not bigotry.

I don't care if Mormonism changes, just as I don't care if any other religion changes. There is nothing that any religion could do to make me think that they base their doctrines on reason. That shouldn't be an insult, as that's the point of religion. Many find comfort in that; I don't. That I reject Mormonism doesn't make me a bigot any more than rejecting atheism makes you a bigot. You just keep throwing that word around as if it's the ultimate insult without even realizing what it means.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #38
tooblue

Quote:
This is priceless. I'm going to assume he's kidding.
You really believe the world is better off if it is full of people who endeavor to conform? I hope you won't let your desire to put tooblue in place overwhelm your generally open minded attitude

The arrogance of your attitude is comenserate with the attitude of what the world has come to know as the Ugly American.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #39
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

All I said is Mormons should reflect on why they are unpopular. Look, I give Waters points at least for consistently. He says Mormons should be indifferent to worldly opinion. My advice is for people like you and Mitt Romney who seem to think it matters or care whether the world likes you for your beliefs.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #40
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
No really, you're not making any sense. In this case, because you ignored my inquiries about bigotry and tried to make this about you while claiming I'm trying to make it about you and not bigotry.

I don't care if Mormonism changes, just as I don't care if any other religion changes. There is nothing that any religion could do to make me think that they base their doctrines on reason. That shouldn't be an insult, as that's the point of religion. Many find comfort in that; I don't. That I reject Mormonism doesn't make me a bigot any more than rejecting atheism makes you a bigot. You just keep throwing that word around as if it's the ultimate insult without even realizing what it means.
You attacked me from the get go. Your intent was not to engage my idea but to tell me what a fool I am. It's that simple.