cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for if the election were today, sans Romney?
Clinton 1 2.86%
Edwards 1 2.86%
Guiliani 11 31.43%
Huckabee 1 2.86%
McCain 5 14.29%
Obama 10 28.57%
Paul 4 11.43%
Thompson 0 0%
Other 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Might be interesting, so yes.

The main point being that I view the political importance of the presidential election much lower than most of y'all. And the social importance of female prez or black prez higher than many of you.

For my potential granddaughters to be born and not have to ask their dads like my daughters asked me "why has there never been a girl president?" would be very cool.
That answer is simple: Because no woman has ever given the country a reason to elect her as President.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #22
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default I disagree with your assessment of W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Really, the bar W has set is so shockingly low, Obama could actually accomplish nothing in office and still have a better legacy.
What W has done is really up in the air right now. It's possible he was the worst President ever, and it's possible he was one of the best. It all depends on how the results shake out from the war way down the line.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That answer is simple: Because no woman has ever given the country a reason to elect her as President.
I agree. Voting based largely on gender is dangerous.

Liddy Dole wanted to run back in 2000. She was not the right choice, either.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #24
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Do you have daughters? That's certainly not what I would tell my daughters.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I agree. Voting based largely on gender is dangerous.

Liddy Dole wanted to run back in 2000. She was not the right choice, either.
Yep. And it's why Mrs. Clinton should never be elected.

When the right woman comes along, she'll win.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
What W has done is really up in the air right now. It's possible he was the worst President ever, and it's possible he was one of the best. It all depends on how the results shake out from the war way down the line.
I agree with you to a point.

For example, let's say that in 10 years, Iraq finally stabilizes and holds legitimate elections and becomes religiously tolerant (hypo, obviosly).

W would HAVE to get some credit for that because it was his call to go to Iraq. This would be fair.

Unfortunately, the reality is that the current sitting President (R or D) will want to cash in on as much of that as possible. People will have moved on. Nobody is going to rush to make sure W gets a lions share of any credit for anything. The sitting president takes all the blame and gets all the glory.

How much of what happens to us each week is traced back to the original President who got the ball rolling? Very little.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Do you have daughters? That's certainly not what I would tell my daughters.
I have two daughters (15 and 5). The 15 year old asked me this question a few weeks ago and it is exactly what I told her. I believe in giving my kids a straight answer when they ask.

If your daughters are still relatively young, I can understand why you'd hesitate to tell them that. But if they're about the same age as mine, I'd wonder why you wouldn't.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
What if an armadillo ran? Would you vote for an armadillo?
If it were THIS armadillo, I totally would.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No President makes any decisions without advisors and a full Cabinet.

W had executive experience....he was a Governor of one of the most populated states in the union. Look at how great his Executive decisions were. An entire war based off flawed intelligence (regardless of whether he knew it was flawed). His approach to diplomacy has our global reputation in the toilet.

What exactly is Obama lacking that the other candidates allegedly have? Why does it scare you? Our system of checks and balances are designed for this very issue.

PS Gettysburg, I Have a Dream, Ask Not what your country....all unimpressive political speeches. Whose oratory do you prefer? I thought you were a Greek geek? Werent their speeches political? What about Jesus? You need to rethink your position on that.
You are reading too many implications into my topic.

Without regurgitating my beliefs, let it be restated, I don't listen to what a modern politician says for its face value. To truly understand it, one must understand undercurrents and the politician's power base plus the undercurrent of true action.

Because executive experience is important, doesn't mean I believe it guarantees success but it does send up a big red flag. Obama has almost no experience on anything executive.

Gettysburg may have been political but it stands supreme for its grace and didn't have the undercurrents most modern political speeches written by a bevy of speechwriters. Modern politicos are only speakers of the words of others.

Obama lacks the executive experience of Giuliani, Richardson, and Romney. That is significant to me. And his economic program is laughable but it's sellable to the ignorant masses who are asses.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #30
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How much of what happens to us each week is traced back to the original President who got the ball rolling? Very little.
I'm not sure about that. The Republicans are still blaming Clinton for anything bad that happened the last eight years and if a Demo wins they will blame W for anything bad that happens the next four.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote