cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for if the election were today, sans Romney?
Clinton 1 2.86%
Edwards 1 2.86%
Guiliani 11 31.43%
Huckabee 1 2.86%
McCain 5 14.29%
Obama 10 28.57%
Paul 4 11.43%
Thompson 0 0%
Other 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If Romney were to withdraw, who gets your vote?

Votes are anonymous.

Since half of you voted for Romney in last month's poll (http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15135), I am just wondering who the popular consolation prize would be.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Mike Ditka

Last edited by RC Vikings; 01-04-2008 at 04:54 AM.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

bump
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I wasnt going to vote for Romney anyway.

I am still leaning towards Obama, but will be interested in seeing who wins the R nomination.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Romney got my vote kinda by default, being the only conservative candidate with any viability left in the race. Were he to concede, it would have to be somewhere between Thompson and Guiliani, depending on the circumstances at the time.

I cannot stomach a vote for McCain, except if it's between him and Huckabee.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand the love affair with Obama or Hillary, because I view Mormons as mostly economic conservatives.

Of course, I don't understand the love affair with government solutions.

The unfortunate thing is Reagan Republicans are nowhere to be seen.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't understand the love affair with Obama or Hillary, because I view Mormons as mostly economic conservatives.

Of course, I don't understand the love affair with government solutions.

The unfortunate thing is Reagan Republicans are nowhere to be seen.
I dont see it as a love affair. As Iowa has shown, nobody can stand Hillary. People are ready to move on.

W's razor thin margin of victory in 2004 was, in large part, a referendum on the war. No prior sitting president had been ousted during wartime. A slight majority of America wanted to keep things status quo to give W the chance to fix things or deliver on his prio continued representations of success.

This election is no different. Once again, it is a referendum on the war, but this time, America is saying, "You had your chance...time for change." Ironically, the same GOP that doggedly supported W is now bearing the brunt of his failures.

Although you are not an Obama supporter, did you hear his speech last night? Were you not even slightly impressed? I thought he did a really great job.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I dont see it as a love affair. As Iowa has shown, nobody can stand Hillary. People are ready to move on.

W's razor thin margin of victory in 2004 was, in large part, a referendum on the war. No prior sitting president had been ousted during wartime. A slight majority of America wanted to keep things status quo to give W the chance to fix things or deliver on his prio continued representations of success.

This election is no different. Once again, it is a referendum on the war, but this time, America is saying, "You had your chance...time for change." Ironically, the same GOP that doggedly supported W is now bearing the brunt of his failures.

Although you are not an Obama supporter, did you hear his speech last night? Were you not even slightly impressed? I thought he did a really great job.
I am not impressed by political speeches and his lack of experience in an executive capacity scares the crap out of me.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Bottom line I don't think it matters a whole lot. In the American two party system, both parties are pushed towards the middle. And once elected, politicians drift even more to the middle. On a scale of 1 to 100, it's choosing between a 49 and a 51. On top of that, the American government is a sum total of many many entitites, senators, congressmen, lobbyists, judges, government officials, etc. Leadership is so diluted by so many that the president just isn't that powerful or important.

I'm strongly for Romney due to the tribal concept. But I also fit with him economically.

If Romney dropped, I might be for Obama to have a black president. Or Hillary to have a female president.

Either one of those breakthroughs would be more important to me than the downside of their politics not agreeing with me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If Romney dropped, I might be for Obama to have a black president. Or Hillary to have a female president.
What if an armadillo ran? Would you vote for an armadillo?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote