cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

McQueary has been portrayed as a real villain in this as well.

But it may actually be McQueary that, in a belated moment of courage, was the linchpin to taking down Paterno and Paterno's (nominal) superiors.

If McQueary had kept his mouth shut, then there was nothing that could be proven to have been covered up in 2002.

I might suggest holding fire on McQueary, he may actually have been a huge key to overturning this corrupt regime.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
McQueary has been portrayed as a real villain in this as well.

But it may actually be McQueary that, in a belated moment of courage, was the linchpin to taking down Paterno and Paterno's (nominal) superiors.

If McQueary had kept his mouth shut, then there was nothing that could be proven to have been covered up in 2002.

I might suggest holding fire on McQueary, he may actually have been a huge key to overturning this corrupt regime.
I disagree, nine years too late for the young lad raped as he watched on, cowering in his office calling his "daddy."
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I did say "belated". He is going to have live with this infamy for the rest of this life.

Better courage later than never.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I did say "belated". He is going to have live with this infamy for the rest of this life.

Better courage later than never.
Actually, his belated confession was probably more self-serving than courageous. Imagine being over-burdened with that act of cowardice, so you spill your guts to have some forgiveness. It seems to have been self-serving.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

it could be that he leveraged his knowledge into his current job.

I'm personally still hypothesizing a 1999 coverup, and Paterno et al. telling McQ in not-so-many words to butt out and it would be handled. Even if not said directly.

I'm very curious to how McQ is going to testify.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #26
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Get a brain, Waters.

McQueery only spilled the beans when he was under oath in front of the grand jury. His act was not one of courage, but of self-preservation.

The fact that the world has been so black and white for you -- all divided into evil and more evil -- hard to understand how you're going soft on McQueery at all.

It's not complicated: if you see a child being raped, you attack the rapist and call the cops. Where's the moral ambiguity?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's always interesting to me to see what it takes for one of our superiors to actually condescend and say something on this site. It's usually to take a jab at me (usually through private message).

I am well aware of what McQ supposedly did. Everyone is asking how he could just walk (run?) away in the moment. Sure, I wonder that as well. I try to put myself in his shoes. I hear a noise, I walk into a shower, and I see Thomas Monson raping a boy. How would I react to seeing someone I respect and look up to, doing something so heinous? Even this example is not so good, because President Monson does not hold that much sway over my life/world/job. Let's suppose I worked at Church HQ. I would hope I would do the right thing, stop it immediately, call the police. The context of what happened was 1) shock as to the perpetrator, and 2) that the perpetrator held a lot of power in that world.

I do believe that McQ's actions very well were guided by self-interest. Why not go to the police? Going to Paterno smells like "this is a complicated situation, I feel like someone needs to know, I'll let Paterno figure out what should be done." I.e. the Godfather.

The thing that is most difficult to understand, is how McQ could have come to work everyday, seeing that nothing had been done, that Sandusky is still hanging out, etc. It's one thing to have your courage fail you in the heat of the moment, it's another to stand idly by week after week, year after year. This is the greatest condemnation of McQ.

On to the legal situation. We know a good deal about the 98/99 situation, in that it went all the way to the DA. So the real scandal is 2002, and the keystone to it is McQ's testimony/witness.

I am merely suggesting that McQ may have had a belated moment of courage. Maybe not, as Levin and Archaea suggest. I grant that as well. Because it is his testimony that has essentially brought down everyone above him. How did the 2002 incident become known to the authorities? That's the question in my mind. Maybe it's in the grand jury report, I'm not sure.

We've all seen the movies where the really bad guy does something right at the end. Maybe that is McQ. Is that too hard to consider?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #28
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

A four star OL from Colorado has become the first Penn State recruit to decommit.
http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_19320218

Meanwhile, Sandusky could face 460 years in jail.
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/nat...,3602138.story
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #29
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The Rose Bowl execs announced today that if Penn State wins the Big Ten, they would invite them with open arms. This is significant because there has been recent discussion that Penn State should quietly finish the regular season (if not forfeit it entirely) and then spend the bowl season at home.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ions-earns-bid

You guys weren't kidding when you knocked the PAC for being liberal.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

By now you have surely seen 2nd-hand reports of McQ claiming to have stopped the rape and having gone to police.

Still more to find out re: McQ.

Wouldn't surprise me if report made to police, and police did not file. So there is no paper trail.