cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default btw, for those of you that didn't see BYU vs. SDSU

the offense was dominant, but Hall frankly looked mediocre for much of the first half, and then picked it up a bit. But when you are running for 300 yards, you don't need a great QB to be successful with play-action.

The disappointing part about the game was BYU's lack of defensive domination. Kevin O'Connell had all day to make his throws, which led to the game being kind of close until the end. I was disappointed in BYU's inability to bring any kind of pressure. Am the only one who sits there and wonders why Kehl can get completely locked up with a tackle and get zero pass rush? If he is an NFL starter, I am a monkey's uncle. Off-season steroids should help him however (and in-season growth hormone).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the offense was dominant, but Hall frankly looked mediocre for much of the first half, and then picked it up a bit. But when you are running for 300 yards, you don't need a great QB to be successful with play-action.

The disappointing part about the game was BYU's lack of defensive domination. Kevin O'Connell had all day to make his throws, which led to the game being kind of close until the end. I was disappointed in BYU's inability to bring any kind of pressure. Am the only one who sits there and wonders why Kehl can get completely locked up with a tackle and get zero pass rush? If he is an NFL starter, I am a monkey's uncle. Off-season steroids should help him however (and in-season growth hormone).
I'd like to think that they were keying on the pass and that was why Hall was so ineffective. They definitely adjusted to the run after we'd gained 250 on the ground, and the pass opened up at that point.

I thought the D did pretty well against the pass other than the complete lack of a pass rush against a supposedly porous OL. If our "quick" LBs wouldn't have been made to look so silly by O'Connel's running ability, he wouldn't have been able to throw nearly as many passes. His rating wasn't good; it was just the endless drives that allowed that many pass yards.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe Hall's shoulder separation is worse than advertised. That's why we're not hearing about it. I imagine it won't recover until spring.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

My perspective at the game was that O'Connell is one hell of a good scrambling qb. He is not super efficient on his throws and I was disappointed in our pass rush. But I don't see a lot of shame in not being able to make plays on him in the open field. The SDSU fans behind us insisted that he would be an ideal reciever, and whether or not he has the straight line speed I don't know, but his elusiveness is really pretty high.

I know the Aztec D is terrible, but it is hard for me to understand how they are as bad as they have been, there is too much talent to go 6-18 under long and get blasted so often. Long is doing a terrible job there.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

LOL ignorance is bliss? Kehl Doesn't often rush unless it is part of a blitz package -he's in coverage Mike ... especially against a team that throws on every down! Now, if you want to criticise anything, criticise the Defensive scheme.

By the way, Kehl isn't a rush end -he's a linebacker that's been forced to play outside ... teams have purposely run the play AWAY from him all season

The D line starts a few freshman who were injured! The frosh have played well, of course one must remember that they are back-ups thrown into action due to injuries etc. before the season to the returning starters ... so, when these frosh were injured who did BYU play on the D line? And maybe, just maybe you could give SDSU's O line and their QB some credit, zoob

Hades, I feel like I am sitting in LES ... Are you certain that wasn't you sitting right behind me the last time I was there; you're wife screaming what an idiot Berry is for getting sacked by an untochued defensive guard because his offensive guard turned the wrong way and picked up NO ONE!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
LOL ignorance is bliss? Kehl Doesn't often rush unless it is part of a blitz package -he's in coverage Mike ... especially against a team that throws on every down! Now, if you want to criticise anything, criticise the Defensive scheme.

By the way, Kehl isn't a rush end -he's a linebacker that's been forced to play outside ... teams have purposely run the play AWAY from him all season

The D line starts a few freshman who were injured! The frosh have played well, of course one must remember that they are back-ups thrown into action due to injuries etc. before the season to the returning starters ... so, when these frosh were injured who did BYU play on the D line? And maybe, just maybe you could give SDSU's O line and their QB some credit, zoob

Hades, I feel like I am sitting in LES ... Are you certain that wasn't you sitting right behind me the last time I was there; you're wife screaming what an idiot Berry is for getting sacked by an untochued defensive guard because his offensive guard turned the wrong way and picked up NO ONE!
Let me guess, you didn't see the SDSU game.

I don't blame a fat 300 pound Poly noseguard for not getting pressure on the QB. I blame Bronco for that, for his conservative schemes and utter predictability.

Kehl is not a guy you have to double team when he comes on the blitz. One decent tackle can negate him. That's fine. But for a pro prospect, it's a bit worrying.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
My perspective at the game was that O'Connell is one hell of a good scrambling qb. He is not super efficient on his throws and I was disappointed in our pass rush. But I don't see a lot of shame in not being able to make plays on him in the open field. The SDSU fans behind us insisted that he would be an ideal reciever, and whether or not he has the straight line speed I don't know, but his elusiveness is really pretty high.

I know the Aztec D is terrible, but it is hard for me to understand how they are as bad as they have been, there is too much talent to go 6-18 under long and get blasted so often. Long is doing a terrible job there.
Anyone can scramble against a 3 man rush with gaps the size of double-wide trailers. It's not hard to pick up 8 yards in those cases.

OConnell, I will admit, has a much better chance of being an NFL QB than Hall. Taller, better scrambler, better arm.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be interesting to see how good O'Connell is if he played for a half-decent team.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #9
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Let me guess, you didn't see the SDSU game.

I don't blame a fat 300 pound Poly noseguard for not getting pressure on the QB. I blame Bronco for that, for his conservative schemes and utter predictability.

Kehl is not a guy you have to double team when he comes on the blitz. One decent tackle can negate him. That's fine. But for a pro prospect, it's a bit worrying.
I did watch the game -curious, what side of the field does Kehl play? Oh, and who suffered injuries on the D line ... and behind them there is?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I did watch the game -curious, what side of the field does Kehl play? Oh, and who suffered injuries on the D line ... and behind them there is?
I'm requesting a rewrite.