cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
That's not my department. Take it up with someone else. :-P
I thought you, Lingo and Tex were the designated "defenders of the faith" on this site.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I figure with all the stuff Jesus and Joseph Smith had to go through, obviously God will allow faithful members to go through things like financial trouble too.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You know, I visit the Central District and other traditionally downtrodden areas of Seattle not infrequently and I don't get the same feeling of dead end quality that I get in similar areas in Salt Lake. For one thing, often there is a high degree of cultural diversity and energy, even exoticism, including a fairly high immigrant population.
Have you spent much time in the midwest? Areas in Dayton, Akron, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Louisville, Gary, and throughout make Utah look like the land of opportunity.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #24
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is there a good study somewhere that shows median per capita income, adjusted for cost of living by state?
I don't know. Utah isn't a rich state by any means but it's certainly not Mississippi or Arkansas.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I don't know. Utah isn't a rich state by any means but it's certainly not Mississippi or Arkansas.
Which is why they are higher than Utah in per capita bankruptcy filings.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco...ngs-per-capita
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #26
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't know what causes the excessive bankruptcies here, but poor isn't the reason.
All I know is that the job market / salaries in Utah are way out of line with the cost of living. Primarily caused by people not wanting to leave "zion" IMO. In my field, I would guess the normal salary for a similar position is maybe 70% of what it is here in Texas. And the cost of living here is lower.

That HAS to be at least part of the cause.

Last edited by FMCoug; 06-28-2007 at 05:33 PM.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #27
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
All I know is that the job market / salaries in Utah are way out of line with the cost of living. Primarily caused by people not wanting to leave "zion" IMO. In my field, I would guess the normal salary for a similar position is maybe 70% of what it is here in Texas. And the cost of living here is lower.

I don't remember who the poster on CB was who found a real estate site and put in the price his house in Utah was worth to see what would come up in Texas. Needless to say he found a much nicer house than what he had in Utah. Then of course came the predictable responses about property taxes being so bad in Texas. They don't know what they're talking about. I don't know anyone who moved from Utah to Texas since I've been here who didn't make a move upward on the standard of living scale.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Have you spent much time in the midwest? Areas in Dayton, Akron, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Louisville, Gary, and throughout make Utah look like the land of opportunity.
Yes, I've seen those places many times. In the worst areas in those places I bet the bankruptcy rate is high and if not it's just because people aren't even responsible enough to file for bankruptcy or get credit in the first place. The worst I've ever seen is northwest LA, near the Arkansas border not all that far from where Bill Clinton grew up in a single parent household.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post

Except for the study says the average is the same for the non "I want to live in Zion" folks.

There is something in the state whether it is a statistical thing or a real underlying cause that would have us high in bankruptcies and also securities and investment fraud.

The study shows me that being LDS and the high level of bankruptcy in Utah doesn't necessarily relate to each other. As I said before, that is reassuring we aren't worse than others and at the same time discouraging we don't do better.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #30
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Which is why they are higher than Utah in per capita bankruptcy filings.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco...ngs-per-capita
How come no one in the US virgin islands files for bankruptcy?