cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 06-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study shows bankruptcy in Utah

is about the same amongst LDS folks as non-LDS folks. So bankruptcies aren't high in Utah because of large families or 10% tithe payers. We are just like everyone else in Utah when it comes to bankruptcy and are not causing the higher than average numbers compared to other state.

That's the good news. The bad news is we are the same as everyone else in the state when it comes to filing for bankruptcy. I would expect more from us. Maybe it is the "inactives" that are filing and making the active members look bad.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If Utah Mormons were living the gospel, they would have among the lowest rates in the country.

It's a scandal.

More evidence of why the New Jerusalem isn't/wont' be in Utah.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Utah is a poor state. It didn't sink in until years after I moved away from Salt Lake and took my second wife there, the first time she'd been there. Such experiences give you new eyes. Much of it is pretty oppressive and run down and quite hopeless, frankly, if not utterly banal.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Utah is a poor state. It didn't sink in until years after I moved away from Salt Lake and took my second wife there, the first time she'd been there. Such experiences give you new eyes. Much of it is pretty oppressive and run down and quite hopeless, frankly, if not utterly banal.
Phew tell us how you really feel.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Using what I assume is your standard, you could say the same thing about 4/5ths of the United States.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think you really should have added, "in my opinion". When I graduated from college I couldn't wait to get out of oppressive, run down, and hopeless Utah. After hanging out in progressive, upbeat and optimistic California (bay area) for 6 years I was glad to get back to Utah and haven't regretted it.

I don't know what causes the excessive bankruptcies here, but poor isn't the reason.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
is about the same amongst LDS folks as non-LDS folks. So bankruptcies aren't high in Utah because of large families or 10% tithe payers. We are just like everyone else in Utah when it comes to bankruptcy and are not causing the higher than average numbers compared to other state.

That's the good news. The bad news is we are the same as everyone else in the state when it comes to filing for bankruptcy. I would expect more from us. Maybe it is the "inactives" that are filing and making the active members look bad.
Blame IHC.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Using what I assume is your standard, you could say the same thing about 4/5ths of the United States.
You know, I visit the Central District and other traditionally downtrodden areas of Seattle not infrequently and I don't get the same feeling of dead end quality that I get in similar areas in Salt Lake. For one thing, often there is a high degree of cultural diversity and energy, even exoticism, including a fairly high immigrant population.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't know what causes the excessive bankruptcies here, but poor isn't the reason.
The data says Utah incomes are among the lowest in the nation.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You know, I visit the Central District other traditionally downtrodden areas of Seattle not infrequently and I don't get the same feeling of dead end quality that I get in similar areas in Salt Lake. For one thing, often there is a high degree of cultural diversity and energy, even exoticism, including a fairly high immigrant population.
Does your wife know about your slow drives in the downtrodden areas, and the exotics you encounter?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote