cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

As a father of 3 girls here in the great state of texas I find this to be disturbing on one hand and kind of a relief on the other.

Disturbing:
- Why an executive order? I would want to look real close at the safety profile of this vaccination. Is it a live vaccine or just an antigen? Don't really know that much. How effective is the vaccine? Does the risks outweight the benefit?

Relief:
- It is always a concern about teaching my girls about birthcontrol. You teach them correct principles, chastity and virtue... Then you qualify it with, just in case don't forget to make him wear a glove? Or, oh, by the way get this vaccine just in case?
- When I was discussing this with my wife, the way I would approach the vaccine is that you don't know who she is going to marry. She might marry someone who joined the church later on or someone who made past mistakes and has since turned their life around. That person can still, unwittingly, pass along HPV and put her at risk.
- This takes the decision out of my hands and she gets the vaccine, well, because the State says so.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

NS, it is fairly well established that circumcision helps prevent transmission of HIV to males.

Should the governor make an executive order that all males in public schools be circumcised?

Or should some African countries do this, given that their future is at stake, with greater than 30% of the population HIV+?

Is someone an irresponsible parent if they don't give their son an edge in preventing HIV infection?

And aren't you a bit curious about the governor of TExas' ties to the pharmaceutical company that made this vaccine? (yes, he has ties).

What Perry doesn't realize is that he just harmed this vaccine more than he could possibly imagine. Or maybe that was his intention, but I don't think he is nearly that intelligent and cunning.

When you force the public into something that it isn't ready for, you create distrust. And ultimately rejection.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 02-04-2007 at 02:20 AM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #13
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I couldn't disagree more. If there were a safe vaccine for HPV, and you refused to allow your daughter to be vaccinated because you didn't like the implication that your daughter might be having sex, then you are an irresponsible parent. No one wants to think their little Suzy is going to have sex, but teenage girls have sex. And at an alarming rate. If you leave it up to the parents, many will opt not to have their children vaccinated, because they don't like the implication. Sometimes children need to saved from the foolishness of their parents.
I know very well that girls are having sex. My best friend in junior high starting having sex at 13. I also know very well that a lot of girls are not having sex. I had plenty of friends that waited until after high school. Will my daughter receive the vaccine? I don't know, but that is a decision I would like to make, not one that I want made for me.

Also, why just girls? As Farrah noted HPV can cause anal and penial cancer. Plus, carrier boys would be spreading the disease to the girls. If there is going to be the requirement at all, then have it be for boys too.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think it would be unprecendented to mandate a vaccine to prevent a disease (cervical cancer) you (males) cannot get.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:52 AM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
NS, it is fairly well established that circumcision helps prevent transmission of HIV to males.

Should the governor make an executive order that all males in public schools be circumcised?

Or should some African countries do this, given that their future is at stake, with greater than 30% of the population HIV+?

Is someone an irresponsible parent if they don't give their son an edge in preventing HIV infection?

And aren't you a bit curious about the governor of TExas' ties to the pharmaceutical company that made this vaccine? (yes, he has ties).

What Perry doesn't realize is that he just harmed this vaccine more than he could possibly imagine. Or maybe that was his intention, but I don't think he is nearly that intelligent and cunning.

When you force the public into something that it isn't ready for, you create distrust. And ultimately rejection.
In Africa it would actually be long overdue.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:54 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
In Africa it would actually be long overdue.
Let's see if I can get RB and NS to agree on something.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:18 AM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....449bc88c.html

In summary, this vaccine would treat human papilomavirus, which can cause cervical cancer.

I'm disturbed by this on a number of levels:

1) why an executive order, and not the normal process?
2) why make a vaccine for a "lifestyle disease" mandatory?
3) why is it so hard for parents to opt out?
Isn't this that vaccine that had an accelerated approval process due to such stunning success (100%)?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Isn't this that vaccine that had an accelerated approval process due to such stunning success (100%)?
I don't know.

Here is a decent editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/355/23/2389

Mandating this vaccine has a serious chance of aiding the movement against ALL vaccines.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here's an article mainly about the cost of it, and how doctors are losing money stocking it and administrating it:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/condi....ap/index.html

Why is it so foreign to Americans, that they pay for services rendered. If you want a $300 vaccine for your kid, then pay it. Do you think that by having insurance cover it, it is suddenly free?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

The safety of the vaccine and the cost of the vaccine are obviously legitimate issues and worthy of consideration. The point I was trying to make was that if your only reason for refusing to vaccinate your child was because you don't like the implication that your child might be having sex, then you are being foolhardy.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote