cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 AM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You're saying they didn't?

I'm not a lawyer. Perhaps you can clue me in as to why it wasn't a fair trial. After all, there were no Mormons involved, right?
I don't know whether they did or not. Neither do you. I presume not. I know is the overall character of the folks who presided over these "trials," and many respected human rights organizations are calling the trials a travesty. No one in the civilized world seems to be disagreeing with them except you.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #12
SeattleUte

One of the main problems with the death penalty is that the places that are quickest and eagerest to administer it have been the places least likely to ensure a fair trial, including such places in the U.S, particularly where the accused are poor, racial minorities, or have been subjected to a great deal of pre-trial adverse publicity.

Most people executed in our country received kangaroo trials primarily because they were black and/or poor. Often their lawyers were drafted and literally mounted half hearted defenses under protest. Many trials culminating in the death penalty lasted less than two days. Needless to say, our country has executed a multitude of innocients.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-16-2007, 03:11 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't know whether they did or not. Neither do you. I presume not. I know is the overall character of the folks who presided over these "trials," and many respected human rights organizations are calling the trials a travesty. No one in the civilized world seems to be disagreeing with them except you.
You're right. These folks terrorized and brutally murdered others for many, many years, but they're the ones who didn't get a break.

I will shed no tears for them. They got what they deserved despite how you feel about it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #14
SeattleUte

Quote:
You're right. These folks terrorized and brutally murdered others for many, many years, but they're the ones who didn't get a break.

I will shed no tears for them. They got what they deserved despite how you feel about it.
Right. Fair trials don't matter as long as the newspapers say they're monsters. Just what I thought. Like I said, most the folks who believe in the death penalty don't believe in fair trials in their hearts.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #15
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One of the main problems with the death penalty is that the places that are quickest and eagerest to administer it have been the places least likely to ensure a fair trial, including such places in the U.S, particularly where the accused are poor, racial minorities, or have been subjected to a great deal of pre-trial adverse publicity.

Most people executed in our country received kangaroo trials primarily because they were black and/or poor. Often their lawyers were drafted and literally mounted half hearted defenses under protest. Many trials culminating in the death penalty lasted less than two days. Needless to say, our country has executed a multitude of innocients.
Huh? "a multitude of innocents"? You lost me with that last line. I'm no legal expert or scholar but I was under them impression that very few, if any, executions in the U.S. have had defendants that have later been shown to be innocent (I'm thinking the defendants claims of innocence, post conviction, don't exactly count as being shown to be innocent). I'm not saying it hasn't happened but I think it is fairly rare.

Have people been convicted and sentenced to death on sometimes questionable evidence? Yes. Have people been convicted and sentenced to death and then later exonerated by new evidence? Yes. Are there cases where the sentence has actually been carried out and the defendant has later been proven to be innocent? I've never heard of any but I'll grant that it may have happened. Does any of this equate to a "multitude of innocents"? Not in my book it doesn't.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:25 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Right. Fair trials don't matter as long as the newspapers say they're monsters. Just what I thought. Like I said, most the folks who believe in the death penalty don't believe in fair trials in their hearts.
So you're saying that Hussein and his half brothers were actually misunderstood good guys?

The next time I kill someone, I want you for my attorney.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If SU suffers a loss due to violent crime, that strikes close, he will sing a different tune.

He lives in some insulated area, free of crime and violence.

He can't comprehend that criminals are literally taking over countries at our doorstep. He hope that coddling the criminal element in this country will lead to the best outcome for everyone.

Another rich white criminal coddler. It's an old tired song.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:44 AM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

SU in bed with a brutal dictator. The kind of company I've no doubt he revels in given both their need to have their malicious and mean spirited egos fed.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:17 AM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The next time I kill someone, I want you for my attorney.
The next time? (yikes!)
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If SU suffers a loss due to violent crime, that strikes close, he will sing a different tune.

He lives in some insulated area, free of crime and violence.

He can't comprehend that criminals are literally taking over countries at our doorstep. He hope that coddling the criminal element in this country will lead to the best outcome for everyone.

Another rich white criminal coddler. It's an old tired song.
Since you only mentioned white rich people who oppose the death penalty, and not any black people, the vast majority of which--rich, poor or in between--oppose the death penalty, I'm going to point out the reductio ad absurdum of what you're saying: Rich white people (from blue states, I presume you mean) want to coddle black criminals. That doesn't sound very good, especially coming from a Texas boy.

—Paul Auster