cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 01-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #41
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Thanks, but it is not art, and not even photojournalism; ask Mike. Any guesses as to where it is?

uhhhh...Iberian Peninsula? Looks like a mosque but that doesn't help me too much. There are mosques everywhere, right?

What do I know? I've never even been out of the country. Unless you count Texas, which they used to say was "A whole other country."
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
From LexisNexis:
Studies show that it costs more to keep an inmate on death row and to put him or her to death than it does to keep him or her in jail for life. Cases that begin as capital trials - where the punishment being sought is the death penalty - are much more expensive than normal murder trials. The process is longer, tying up our courts for more time, which in turn costs us more money in taxes. In a recent study, Duke University researchers showed in North Carolina, capital cases costs an average of $2.16 million more per case.

Nice avatar pic!
These studies are questionable. The only additional costs that are not already fixed are those paid to outside defense attorneys, (yet outside defense attorneys are also used in nondeath penalty cases). I know several who have done "appointment" death penalty cases, and none of them have charged anywhere close to a tenth of that much.

Does a jury cost more in a death penalty case than a nondeath penalty case? As far as I know, the jury fees are statutorily established irrespective of the crime.

And unless the studies have changed since I last reviewed them, the severity of penalty was not the deterring factor but the certainty of penalty. The difficulty with deterrents under our system is that penalty, be it incarceration or death, is uncertain. Hence, criminals are not deterred.

In countries where penalties are more certain crime rates tend to be lower. In Singapore, which has the death penalty, crime rates are relatively low.

In sum, I challenge the validity of those cost analyses, because they don't make sense, and usually incorporate so many fixed costs that the government pays whether we have a trial or not. For example, if a trial takes longer, they figure a larger portion of the judge's salary. That's nonsense.