cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Saddam's Husein's classy execution

An investigation is underway into abuses at Husein's execution:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/wo...=5070&emc=eta1

The gruesome spectacle that was this event raises the question: Can we execute another human being humanely or decently? Is there such a thing? Define it for me. It seems that any potential dignity associated with the entire enterprise always lies with the individual being executed. The state always winds up looking at best awkward, at worst barbaric.

I don't see any enthusiasm for executions outside the Deep South and Texas, and the Middle East. I say the death panalty is dying a slow death. Even the firebrand advocate of oldtime values Archea says (I'm paraphrasing), "The way it's administered sucks, but.." So again, I ask you, is there a proper way to execute another human being?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You seem to be making Sadam a victim. Plead your case to the survivors of his brutality over the last 25 years. If you can convince them, then I'll think about it.

So people mocked him and he was hanged. He at least got a fair trial.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

The gruesome spectacle that was this event raises the question: Can we execute another human being humanely or decently? Is there such a thing? Define it for me. It seems that any potential dignity associated with the entire enterprise always lies with the individual being executed. The state always winds up looking at best awkward, at worst barbaric.

I don't see any enthusiasm for executions outside the Deep South and Texas, and the Middle East. I say the death panalty is dying a slow death. Even the firebrand advocate of oldtime values Archea says (I'm paraphrasing), "The way it's administered sucks, but.." So again, I ask you, is there a proper way to execute another human being?
Your question is posed in such a way to deliberately set up anyone who answers it.

Try again.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

No there is not. And Saddam's execution was more like a lynching than a hanging.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I won't shed any tears for Saddam. Few people will. But that's not the point. The video and the manner in which he was executed combined to create a PR disaster. We expend all of this blood and treasure only to put a different set of idiots in power? Great.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 01-03-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

In my mind, the only cases wherein the death penalty is warranted should have all of these three characteristics:

1. The crime was a pre-meditated murder of an innocent victim.
2. The purpetrator not only does not regret the crime, but is of a disposition to repeat similar crimes if given the opportunity.
3. The purpetrator is capable of committing such a crime in the future.

If these three items are factors, the death penalty would serve as a deterrent by preventing somebody who is able to commit such a heinous crime from ever doing so.

Having said all of that, I don't know that life is ever the wrong answer. There's something to be said about taking the position that it is never right to deliberately end the life of another human entity.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

AA, may I assume you also mean that

4. There is indisputable evidence that the perpetrator is, in fact, guilty.
?

I also agree with your final point. That as a reasonable, spiritual people we should protect and defend life whenever possible.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
AA, may I assume you also mean that

4. There is indisputable evidence that the perpetrator is, in fact, guilty.
?

I also agree with your final point. That as a reasonable, spiritual people we should protect and defend life whenever possible.
No, I am for the execution of the innocent. The more innocent people we can slaughter, the better. I am also against execution by lethal injection because it prevents the consumption of the flesh at the barbeque celebrating the execution.

Yes, I am obviously operating under the assumption that the perpetrator is very guilty.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Wait a minute...you're making fun of me, aren't you?

My point was just that the foremost argument many people will make for the abolition of the death penalty is that in its current practice it results in the erroneous deaths of innocent men. So, I thought that incontrovertible proof (if that's even possible) should be added as one of the characteristics of an ideal capital punishment.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #10
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
No, I am for the execution of the innocent. The more innocent people we can slaughter, the better. I am also against execution by lethal injection because it prevents the consumption of the flesh at the barbeque celebrating the execution.
What are you talking about? I love the taste of sodium thiopental, pancuronium bromide, and potassium chloride in my human meat. <HomerSimpsonVoice>Mmmm, pancuronium bromide</HomerSimpsonVoice>

Not intentionally trying to hijack this thread (OK, maybe I am) but here is a true story: I was a pre-med student at BYU in a past life. I had anatomy class from the famous Dr. Van de Graaf (who now teaches at Weber, I believe). BYU's anatomy labs are well known for allowing undergrads to work on human cadavers. My lab was at 6:00 p.m. and so I never had a chance to go home and eat dinner before lab started. I also didn't have time to eat lunch during the day so when 6:00 rolled around I was usually pretty hungry. One day we were working on the cadaver trying to learn the muscles in the back. I was particularly hungry that day and as I sat there and stared at the back muscles of that cadaver for an hour straight I had the thought that it looked just like a piece of steak. My mouth actually watered for a second until I jerked myself back to reality. A bizarre experience to say the least!
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote