cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
What solution do you propose? Do you think there should be absolutely no moderation or oversight? USENET is great for that.

This site is "moderation-lite". I have deleted perhaps two threads, that were filled with racist comments. A post or two that graphically attributed homosexual acts to me and otherwise commented on my sexual practices/genitalia (Robin posted these). I have suspended one poster, who admitted to trying to destroy the community. For some, this is too heavy-handed I suppose. I can't please everyone. And I won't even pretend to try to.

If I were only acting on a personal level, Robin would have been banned long ago.
You make a very compelling defense and you're probably right.

I really don't know the issue well enought to make a judgment, just throwing out my perspective on the feeling I had about someone getting banned and posts getting deleted recently.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Everybody here is hesitant to have a place where content is determined by moderation. We'd all hope that common respect and decency shown towards others would be the only restraint necessary. If a poster shows that he will not be restrained by his respect for others, what more can be done?

We'll be seeing Robin soon enough.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

We appreciate Mike's efforts and to the extent I have made the place less entertaining for our friends here, I apologize.

In explanation, I know I bait Robin, becase I do not like how Robin seeks to interfere with what Mike is trying to provide. His points of view may seem interesting to some, but mostly for me, they appear juvenile.

I like a lively discussion, even offensive name-calling. But some do not. However, there needs to be a point, which if eventually one cannot bring out, then a different tactic is in order.

My guess is Robin will return, because he is drawn inexoriably to Mike, an interesting dynamic I have never before witnessed.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-17-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Robin is like a sacrificial lamb. When the board has a bad day, Waters suspends Robin; innocense or guilt is not the point. It's a rite.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

You know what i for one am glad if Faith, Robin, Ohioblue or anyone else leaves the board, Not that i dont enjoy their discussion but to be completely honest this is Mike Waters board if he wants to rule it with an iron fist (which i dont think he has done, not even a paper fist) then so be it, if you dont like it then feel free to leave. I am happy with the way the board is, yes things get heated but every now and again and at times people are disrespectful but this is the real world, thats how it is. If you think i am being an ass tell me, i can take it. I respect other peoples opinions, but i also reserve the right to tell someone that i disagree with them as well.

I do feel like some of the "Apostates" on the board take unprovoked shots at the church and i know a lot of posters get upset by this, but that is their perogative, go ahead and fire away if thats what makes you feel better, but be prepared to get fired upon. This goes for everyone that wants their strong opinion known you need to be able to dish it and take it and not run when people disagree with your views.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie
You know what i for one am glad if Faith, Robin, Ohioblue or anyone else leaves the board, Not that i dont enjoy their discussion but to be completely honest this is Mike Waters board if he wants to rule it with an iron fist (which i dont think he has done, not even a paper fist) then so be it, if you dont like it then feel free to leave. I am happy with the way the board is, yes things get heated but every now and again and at times people are disrespectful but this is the real world, thats how it is. If you think i am being an ass tell me, i can take it. I respect other peoples opinions, but i also reserve the right to tell someone that i disagree with them as well.

I do feel like some of the "Apostates" on the board take unprovoked shots at the church and i know a lot of posters get upset by this, but that is their perogative, go ahead and fire away if thats what makes you feel better, but be prepared to get fired upon. This goes for everyone that wants their strong opinion known you need to be able to dish it and take it and not run when people disagree with your views.
I disagree. If it's Mike Waters' board, he should call it the Mike Waters board. If he calls it Cougarguard and promotes it as a public place where Cougar fans or haters can come discuss issues they share in common, then it becomes larger than Mike Waters' board, and Mike should manage it with that in mind. That said, I believe Mike does just that. Jefe doesn't. Jefe rules Cougarboard with the intent to manipulate BYU and LDS image.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Can we change the title of this thread to "Faith No More" that would be fitting.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:06 AM   #18
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, do what you gotta do bro.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:44 AM   #19
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
My guess is Robin will return, because he is drawn inexoriably to Mike, an interesting dynamic I have never before witnessed.
I seem to remember Robin relating a story about he and Mike getting lost at night on Y Mountain and having to huddle or spoon to stay warm. Maybe Robin hasn't fully re-oriented himself??

Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a recent photo I took of Susan Ferguson, aka "Faith" in Montana.

Susan is widely recognized as one of the best teachers in one of the toughest schools in South Central. She teaches courses in history and conflict resolution. She has put herself between fighting gangsters to break up fights, and during the race riots at her school, she made her classroom a safe place, running out into the fighting to grab kids, so that she could pull them back into her classroom and keep protect them from the danger outside her door. Those experiences are emblematic of what she does, whether leading the GSA or simply being the kind of teacher a kid can turn to when a loved one gets murdered in the streets -- in a tough and violent world, she makes safe places where people can contemplate life for a minute without having to watch their back.

At BYU Susan was a president of VOICE, the women's advocacy club. While I was at grad school she worked teaching adult literacy.

She is one of the kindest, best people I know, and she is the great love of my life. I am blessed to have her as a companion in life.

I had hoped, as my most sincere and honest attempt to contribute to the building of this community, to introduce you all to Susan. I know that her unique voice and life experience could have enriched this forum greatly. But at the end of the day, it was really only a blind date. She had the courtesy to take my invite seriously, but she just wasn't interested in taking things to the next level. I think we can all understand and respect that choice.

Being her first real exposure to a chat board, the suggestions that she wasn't really herself bothered her more than they should have. If anyone has any doubt that "Faith" was anyone other than the woman I just described, you are welcome to ask her yourself:

susan.ferguson@gmail.com or 323.253.7768

Cheers.

R.

Last edited by Robin; 08-18-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote