cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What I have said is that AA appears to be entering law with some level of naivete, which offends him.

Moreover in the past, I have expressed some skepticism of his course to him in private. It's not like he is suddenly discovering that I am skeptical.

Most of what I have said applies to the subject generally, relating my experience and observations. Such as unhappy LDS lawyers, big-firm experiences, pitfalls of debt, choices not based on self-derived values, etc.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #52
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Old 05-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #53
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What I have said is that AA appears to be entering law with some level of naivete, which offends him.

Moreover in the past, I have expressed some skepticism of his course to him in private. It's not like he is suddenly discovering that I am skeptical.

Most of what I have said applies to the subject generally, relating my experience and observations. Such as unhappy LDS lawyers, big-firm experiences, pitfalls of debt, choices not based on self-derived values, etc.
I never said I was offended. I said you were going out of your way to be rude and insulting. That doesn't make for constructive dialogue.

You say you should have said less. I wish you would have said more. I would have gladly considered any insights you would have offered. All you had to tell me was how naive I was. I was far closer to being offended by you withholding what you could have told me than by saying what you did tell me.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I never said I was offended. I said you were going out of your way to be rude and insulting. That doesn't make for constructive dialogue.

You say you should have said less. I wish you would have said more. I would have gladly considered any insights you would have offered. All you had to tell me was how naive I was. I was far closer to being offended by you withholding what you could have told me than by saying what you did tell me.
Whether you understand tort reform and how lawyers create markets and all that is probably not going to effect your life anytime soon.

Your values and choices will have a great effect.

Some good advice I got--do not base your career decision on the "cool" aspects of a job. Base it on the mundane. The bread and butter. Do you like the bread and butter aspects of a particular job? If the answer is "no", then it is best to keep looking.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #55
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Whether you understand tort reform and how lawyers create markets and all that is probably not going to effect your life anytime soon.

Your values and choices will have a great effect.

Some good advice I got--do not base your career decision on the "cool" aspects of a job. Base it on the mundane. The bread and butter. Do you like the bread and butter aspects of a particular job? If the answer is "no", then it is best to keep looking.
So base decisions on what you'll be doing most hours of the day. I can buy that.