cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much would you give up to save wild horses
$0 15 71.43%
Sierra Club annual dues 0 0%
$100 3 14.29%
$1,000 0 0%
$10,000 0 0%
$100,000 0 0%
I'd give up my job. 0 0%
My business could be destroyed. 0 0%
Foreclose on my ranch. 1 4.76%
Totally wipe me out financially. 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #21
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
That's some nice fluff, but the numbers you posted earlier showed an average payment in the 200's for this year. Far below the market price.

It's easy to write a piece that makes it sound like you're doing something noble when in fact you're not. If you parse deeply into that FAQ nowhere does it say they pay market value and nowhere does it say they've ever paid $3,000.00, a hefty sum most likely inserted to distract the casual reader. I'll give them credit, it's very skillfully written to deceive. On the other hand I'm shocked, shocked I say, that a great and upstanding organization such as the whatevers of whatever would outright lie about the true nature of this so-called conservation program of theirs.
The state extension service reconciles any difference in compensation figures between the rancher and Defenders, you ingoramus. Take it up with the extension service. And when you do, ask if there's anything to be done for your potato warts.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #22
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
The state extension service reconciles any difference in compensation figures between the rancher and Defenders, you ingoramus. Take it up with the extension service. And when you do, ask if there's anything to be done for your potato warts.
Where does it say they pay that price? Nowhere.

Like I said it's well written.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #23
Levin

Quote:
Where does it say they pay that price? Nowhere.

Like I said it's well written.
My hell I quoted it for you, but here it is again:

"Defenders takes the rancher's assessment of the animal's value and compares it with current auction reports and livestock prices as reported in regional newspapers. If there is a significant difference, the local county extension agent determines the price."

Get over your persecution complex. Defenders is not out to get you or screw the ranchers. They came up with a pragmatic solution that you can't stand b/c it strips away your reason for being at the moment.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 07-09-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #24
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

It's a nice piece of propaganda, well written to lead the reader to the intended false conclusion.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #25
Levin

Quote:
It's a nice piece of propaganda, well written to lead the reader to the intended false conclusion.
Now I just think you're trolling; you can't be this blind and paranoid. In fact, I feel quite sheepish b/c now I think you've been trolling the entire time. Got me -- hook, line, and sinker.

Last edited by Levin; 07-09-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #26
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Some years ago my brother snagged a wild colt from some private property of a friend in Southeastern Utah. The colt was young enough that it was domesticated over the course of several years of hard work. It was a beautiful paint, just like Tonto's horse. He had to put quite a bit of time and money into the horse, vet bills, etc. I'd be willing to spend some money to save a wild horse I could own.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Good poll SU. You've finally outed UD and YO as the enviro-kooks that they are.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Wild horses are kind of cool, but they don't inspire me much. They basically are a bunch of domesticated animals that escaped from the Spaniards. It's like a pack of wild poodles. Or siamese cats.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #29
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Wild horses are kind of cool, but they don't inspire me much. They basically are a bunch of domesticated animals that escaped from the Spaniards. It's like a pack of wild poodles. Or siamese cats.
Could poodles survive in the wild? Seems like the hair issue would make them victims to natural selection.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #30
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

The best way to save wild horses is to declare a mustang season and give Goatnapper the only permit.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote