cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #41
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sheep pull the grass up from the root. So denude the entire west?

Why is it that people in the West are the ones who care least about the West? I think it is because of their hardscrabble lives. Money is the end-all be-all for these poor people. Even when they aren't poor they still feel the same way. The land is there to be raped.

I'll bet my great-aunt who is in her 70s and every year digs out leftover potatoes in Idaho (for free) so she can survive the winter, I'll bet she doesn't give a damn about horses, wolfs, denuding federal land, etc. I'll bet she does care about money and food.
I guess that explains why the cattle industry won over sheep. Cows are the champions of the great conservationists.

I think the answer is that 1.) your aunt has bigger balls than you and balls is something of value in the west. You don't have to like it but when you come here you best be respecting it, homesplice! 2.) This might be a little more obvious, but we live here. Wolves are a nuisance and we put a higher value on the nuisance being out of our lives than your 30 second once a lifetime nipple hardening catch with your nikon 60 mm. Further, I don't accept that cows are ruining public lands and to be blunt there are not many other uses for much of the public lands where the cows roam.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I guess that explains why the cattle industry won over sheep. Cows are the champions of the great conservationists.

I think the answer is that 1.) your aunt has bigger balls than you and balls is something of value in the west. You don't have to like it but when you come here you best be respecting it, homesplice! 2.) This might be a little more obvious, but we live here. Wolves are a nuisance and we put a higher value on the nuisance being out of our lives than your 30 second once a lifetime nipple hardening catch with your nikon 60 mm. Further, I don't accept that cows are ruining public lands and to be blunt there are not many other uses for much of the public lands where the cows roam.
It's hard for me to accept that 30,000 horses are destroying the land and way over-populated for their own good, and will crash in population if they are not culled.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #43
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why is it that people in the West are the ones who care least about the West? I think it is because of their hardscrabble lives. Money is the end-all be-all for these poor people. Even when they aren't poor they still feel the same way. The land is there to be raped.
I suppose this is your place so you can post any manner of jackassery you want, but please provide specific examples where the land has been raped and ruined to back up your claims of poor stewardship. By ruined I mean never again usable. Temporary uses such as a strip mine or oil field are not ruined as reclamation technology is such that the land is in better shape after than before. Also please provide specific examples of where grazing has ruined the land beyond repair. Township, Range, Section. Lat Long, whichever is easier.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I suppose this is your place so you can post any manner of jackassery you want, but please provide specific examples where the land has been raped and ruined to back up your claims of poor stewardship. By ruined I mean never again usable. Temporary uses such as a strip mine or oil field are not ruined as reclamation technology is such that the land is in better shape after than before. Also please provide specific examples of where grazing has ruined the land beyond repair. Township, Range, Section. Lat Long, whichever is easier.
No my friend, the onus is on you to explain how having more than 30,000 horses is going to destroy the West.

I'm anxious to hear the answer.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This is the kind of crap we are fighting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19174578/
Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #46
landpoke

Quote:
No my friend, the onus is on you to explain how having more than 30,000 horses is going to destroy the West.

I'm anxious to hear the answer.
Oh, I don't think they will. I just want to be able to shoot them.

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone argue the pro/con of horses as an invasive species?
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #47
landpoke

Quote:
This is the kind of crap we are fighting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19174578/
That Judge Winmill is pretty cozy with Western Watersheds and their various affiliates. I wonder what they're paying him for all this judicial largess: sage grouse, grazing etc. Maybe he just gets off on the attention.

In all it's judicial activism at its worst.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Oh, I don't think they will. I just want to be able to shoot them.

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone argue the pro/con of horses as an invasive species?
Did anyone argue about cows being an invasive species.

So what happens to the predators, when you fill up the entire west with Cows, and kill every animal that kills the cows?

Ranchers are such pussies. They can't afford to lose a single cow to a wild animal.

That's why we fight.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #49
landpoke

So you would cut into someone's profits for the sake of garbage animals such as wolves and mountain lions? Animals with no practical use other than their fur? I don't see the logic there at all.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.wildhorsepreservation.com...ecosystem.html