cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
This is my approach as well, but I suspect you are better at it than I. Sucks to get our water and already have spent your legs.

On a related note; sometimes when I get out of the water I am very dizzy or disoriented. Is there a way to combat that. It makes transitions somewhat comical. I suspect it has to do with not breathing efficiently enough and just not getting enough swimming in.
I am frequently disoriented, but I don't know why. The reason is you are prone, but then you stand erect abruptly, which apparently causes disorientation.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I am frequently disoriented, but I don't know why. The reason is you are prone, but then you stand erect abruptly, which apparently causes disorientation.

It's all about the blood flow. You stand up, blood flows out of your head and, for a large brained person like you that is particularly problematic. To avoid this problem, try to swim upright.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It's all about the blood flow. You stand up, blood flows out of your head and, for a large brained person like you that is particularly problematic. To avoid this problem, try to swim upright.
If only I could increase blood flow to other body parts.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If only I could increase blood flow to other body parts.

Since it's only the large parts that have this problem I assume you are talking only about your cold feet?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
There are many theories on kicking, but some theories disabuse swimmers of the notion of hard kicking. A few styles actually encourage it. My style, except for sprinting, relies upon efficient arm pulls with very little kicking. In tris, I don't see a benefit of toasting your legs in the swim.

The sinking argument doesn't float, as the world's best swimmers are all non-buoyant. So in reality, you have all the tools to be a great swimmer, just not the mindset yet.
My bil is, by all accounts, a really great swimmer. He also has incredibly short legs, and a long torso. He says that my sisters and I suck at swimming because we have long limbs and he claims that makes our kicking less efficient. I don't know if I buy it or not. Sadly, I am the "strong swimmer" out of the three sisters, but I have to be one of the most inefficient swimmers alive. I feel like I expend an incredible amount of energy for the distance I'm covering...which is generally very short.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife swam for her high school. 100 and 200 M free and breaststroke. She still swims now to keep in shape, though not nearly as much as she did then or would like to these days.

I was dumb enough to challenge her when we were dating to a race. She kicked my ass. So I stuck her in a batting cage with the 90 mph pitches and felt much better about myself.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
My wife swam for her high school. 100 and 200 M free and breaststroke. She still swims now to keep in shape, though not nearly as much as she did then or would like to these days.

I was dumb enough to challenge her when we were dating to a race. She kicked my ass. So I stuck her in a batting cage with the 90 mph pitches and felt much better about myself.
Gee that was big of you.

I remember going to batting cages (once) and being surprised how fast sixty miles an hour is, let along eighty and above. I barely got ticks off the eighty miles an hour pitch even though I basically knew where the ball would be. Out of twenty I may have actually hit one. That was the sum total of my baseball experience.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
My bil is, by all accounts, a really great swimmer. He also has incredibly short legs, and a long torso. He says that my sisters and I suck at swimming because we have long limbs and he claims that makes our kicking less efficient. I don't know if I buy it or not. Sadly, I am the "strong swimmer" out of the three sisters, but I have to be one of the most inefficient swimmers alive. I feel like I expend an incredible amount of energy for the distance I'm covering...which is generally very short.
There are world record holders of all body types.

Some have long torsos, some have extremely long legs, such as butterfliers or breaststrokers. There is no one type of body that fits swimming, except for one that has the ability to recover aerobically. The person who learns feel on the water is a good swimmer.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Gee that was big of you.

I remember going to batting cages (once) and being surprised how fast sixty miles an hour is, let along eighty and above. I barely got ticks off the eighty miles an hour pitch even though I basically knew where the ball would be. Out of twenty I may have actually hit one. That was the sum total of my baseball experience.
Hey, she suckered me into thinking that I had a chance. I had no idea that I had stepped into her world. I had to do something to regain self-respect.

You're right though - it's amazing the difference between a 60-70 mph pitch and an 80 mph pitch and the difference between 80 and 90 is huge as well.

To her credit, she didn't give up, despite swinging after the ball had hit the backstop every pitch. She also never bailed out of the box. She's gutsy. That's what I like about her.

Still, I schooled her. 20 pitches and 15 or 16 line drives with the remainder foul balls straight up and behind.

I don't think I'd do as well now, as I haven't looked at pitches that speed for almost 20 years.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If I am not a terrific swimmer, and my goal is to swim for as long as possible, is 30-35 sec for 25 yards too fast?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote