cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Are you sick or something?

Inspired by Fuegote, FM Coug and Thatsportsfan's weight loss successes and feeling the pressure of several upcoming tough cycling events, I've been carefully monitoring my food intake for the past 2 months. I wouldn't say its a full blown diet, but just me thinging twice about that pint of Ben and Jerry's before bed.

Since March 1st, I've faithfully carried a 500-700 kcal daily deficit. As a result, I've lost a consistent pound a week, for a total of 7 pounds over 7 weeks. I didn't have a whole lot to lose in the first place, but have hung around 171 for the past year and a half. My goal was 162 by May 10th, so I'll be pretty close to that just in time for the Tour of the Unknown Coast, which claims to be the toughest century in California.

Anyway, the point of the whole post. I was at church yesterday and this lady came up to me after the meetings and says, "Are you feeling well? I mean are you sick or something? You've lost a lot of weight lately and it just does not look good on you."

Um, thanks. I think.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm down to 170 from a high of 195+ about 4 years ago.

I've had a lot of people that haven't seen me in a couple of years comment on how much weight I have lost. It's kind of annoying. But I think the weight-loss is most apparent in my now gaunt face.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Anyway, the point of the whole post. I was at church yesterday and this lady came up to me after the meetings and says, "Are you feeling well? I mean are you sick or something? You've lost a lot of weight lately and it just does not look good on you."

Um, thanks. I think.
Let me translate her words for you:

"I'm out of shape and lazy, and insulting you for trying to be healthier will make me feel a little bit better about my increasingly larger ass".
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Let me translate her words for you:

"I'm out of shape and lazy, and insulting you for trying to be healthier will make me feel a little bit better about my increasingly larger ass".
Something like that. She is a fairly "robust" woman who likes her man a little beefy. To give you an idea of what we're dealing with, she is our troop merit badge counselor for rifle and shotgun shooting, as well as auto repair.

She's been a nice friend over the years, but I was not at all surprised to have heard this from her.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

7 lbs in 7 weeks doesn't seem like it should justify someone asking that. Maybe you carry all your weight in your face.

I did have a roomate from college that had gotten a bit overweight. Then he got on a Body for Life kick. I hadn't seem him in 2 years and he had lost a lot of weight. He was guant. Almost looked like he was walking out of some sort of refugee camp. So yeah you can take it too far and if I didn't know better would have thought he was sick.

How tall are you? my friend had to have been in the low 150s and was about 6 ft tall. He jsut looked way too skinny. Of couse people probably think I am too skinny too and I could definatly stand to lose some extra fat around the middle.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
bluegoose

I'm 5'9" 164. My body type and composition really hasn't changed much at all over the past 15 years. My freshman year of college I was 165, my highest weight was 172 during my mission and then again a couple of years ago.

I think that you may be right in that I carry a fair amount of weight in my face. 7 pounds is nothing, but probably a half dozen people have mentioned something the past 2 or 3 weeks. And its not like I wear UnderArmor down to the gym or anything.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I wore underarmor to a church activity. (one of those parks with sprinklers on the playground).

It was not very flattering.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I think that you may be right in that I carry a fair amount of weight in my face.

Tommy: Does this jacket make me look fat?

Richard: Nope, your face does
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
bluegoose

Down to 163. One more to go before Saturday to hit my target weight.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

another coworker I had not seen in some time commented to me today that I have lost a lot of weight.

Makes me sad for my former self.