cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I've never been really interested in drinking while running. But I've also never really run in the heat. When Steel and I went on a few long runs over the winter up to 13 miles, I never once felt any need to get a drink. I suspect a longer run or more heat would change that.

Nutrition and hydration are always my FIL's downfall in ultraraces. He can usually do okay until about mile 60-65, but then crashes hard. A few years ago I paced him from mile 50-62 at the Wasatch 100. I tried the whole time to get something in him - Gatorade, water, coke, gel. It came back up as soon as it went down. He made it to mile 83 that year.
You race how you practice. If you practice drinking and eating you can do it race day. If not, then on race it's tough.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Nutrition and hydration are always my FIL's downfall in ultraraces. He can usually do okay until about mile 60-65, but then crashes hard. A few years ago I paced him from mile 50-62 at the Wasatch 100. I tried the whole time to get something in him - Gatorade, water, coke, gel. It came back up as soon as it went down. He made it to mile 83 that year.
Just out of curiosity, what pace does he do his ultras at?
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Just out of curiosity, what pace does he do his ultras at?

Good question. He usually runs about a 3:10 marathon. When I picked him up at mile 50, it must have been close to midnight. I think they start at about 6:00am. His first 20 miles he did in about 4 hours. The next 20 miles were a bit slower, but still on good pace. Mile 40 he slowed way down, basically to a walk or slow jog, taking him up to that 18 mark.

I really don't think he ate or drank anything prior to that first rest stop at mile 20. But like Archaea said, I think that is just the way he trains. Runs a marathon on the weekend without any food or drink and does fine. Its after the 4-5 hour mark that he really suffers.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote