cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I run it?

It has been a bad week in the Waters household. Stomach viruses abound for everyone. I have not had anything to eat for the past two and a half days, only water and Powerade.

Today is the first day where the aching stomach has subsided enough to have an appetite. I ate breakfast, and so far, so good. I am signed up to run my first half marathon this weekend. Should I do it, assuming I don't relapse? I have not been able to run since Tuesday, when I did 4 miles.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it depends on what you were planning to accomplish. If you were just looking to finish and have an enjoyable day then it could still be worth running. If you were looking to hammer it, I'd probably skip it as it sounds like you won't have much in the tank. Sounds to me like it'd be a pretty cool story if you ran it though. It'll give you credibility among to hardcore folks.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Well, you're not getting any money back if you don't run it. If it was me, I'd probably just go and take it easy and know that it is not going to be my best time.

I'm sorry to hear you've been so sick. Have the kids been sick too?

Oh, and I love your avatar.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
FarrahWaters

I guess I can run it, and always have the excuse, "Well, I could have run a better time, but I'm just recovering from a stomach virus. " I did want to get a good time on my first try, and this is the last one that's available to do before the weather gets hot and humid. And yes, the cheapskate in me would hate to have that entry fee go to waste.

Yes, the kids have had the fever and/or diarrhea, but not any of the excruciating stomach pain that Mike and I have had---knock on wood. They are generally in good spirits.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I guess I can run it, and always have the excuse, "Well, I could have run a better time, but I'm just recovering from a stomach virus. " I did want to get a good time on my first try, and this is the last one that's available to do before the weather gets hot and humid. And yes, the cheapskate in me would hate to have that entry fee go to waste.

Yes, the kids have had the fever and/or diarrhea, but not any of the excruciating stomach pain that Mike and I have had---knock on wood. They are generally in good spirits.
I had food poisoning on a Thursday night before a Saturday marathon in 2004. Not the same thing, I know, because the recovery from food poisoning is much quicker, but I wondered the same thing.

I ended up running it, but posted a lousy time. It was a lot of fun, though. I just took it slow and tried to stay hydrated.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Get some carbs in you today (if you can), and do it. I'm in the same boat. I've come down with a head cold the past few days and I'm doing a half tomorrow. I'm going to run it slow, and if I'm the last person to finish I don't care.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, the only reason that I have never run a marathon is that I get sick just thinking about it.

C'mon Farrah, woman up and run it. You will also have bragging rights 'cause you know full well that Mike would never run if he wasn't feel real well. Show him who the tough one is in the relationship.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps you registered for this marathon despite not wanting to run it and your illness is psychosomatic.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #9
FarrahWaters

Well, I decided to run it. I'd had a crappy week, and wanted to feel like I'd accomplished something good by the end of it.

I'm glad I did it. The weather was perfect (around 50 degrees) and I decided to take it easy and not worry so much about my time. I didn't feel like puking when I finished, so I know I could have pushed myself harder.

My original goal was to run at about an 8:12 mile pace. I ended up doing an 8:49, so it was well below my goal. Final time was 1:55:33. which was 23rd out of 178 in my age group, and 364th overall out of around 1700.

So, nothing to brag about, but I gained some good experience for next time. I find that I do have difficulty pacing myself. I suppose wearing a Garmin would fix that.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Well, I decided to run it. I'd had a crappy week, and wanted to feel like I'd accomplished something good by the end of it.

I'm glad I did it.
congrats, Farrah! Well done.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote