cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #21
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Got back on the treadmill today

My tendonitis had had enough time that I wasn't having any pain anymore so I decided to give it another shot and go even slower. I just walked fast enough to get my heart rate to the 60-7-% fat burning zone. Did 5 miles in 2 hours. According to the treadmill, burned 866 calories this way.

Also, I found this site which had some interesting stuff about target zones. I figure by the nature of it and how out of shape I am, I am getting well into the aerobic and even anaerobic zones on the bike. So using the treadmill for the fat burning zone and the bike for cardio benefit seems to make sense for me right now. And the low speed on the treadmill will be easy on my foot. I was only at 2.7 mph. Just a stroll really.

Also have a Polar heart rate monitor on its way that I got on ebay ... so I will know where I'm at on the bike.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
My tendonitis had had enough time that I wasn't having any pain anymore so I decided to give it another shot and go even slower. I just walked fast enough to get my heart rate to the 60-7-% fat burning zone. Did 5 miles in 2 hours. According to the treadmill, burned 866 calories this way.

Also, I found this site which had some interesting stuff about target zones. I figure by the nature of it and how out of shape I am, I am getting well into the aerobic and even anaerobic zones on the bike. So using the treadmill for the fat burning zone and the bike for cardio benefit seems to make sense for me right now. And the low speed on the treadmill will be easy on my foot. I was only at 2.7 mph. Just a stroll really.

Also have a Polar heart rate monitor on its way that I got on ebay ... so I will know where I'm at on the bike.
I think everyone should own a HRM. Ironically, typically it's only serious athletes who have them, but weekend warriors would really benefit. The reason is--it keeps you from overtraining. The tendency is to go out really hard because you're all excited about getting in shape. Then you get injured or get sick of it and quit. Staying around 70% will keep this from happening because it's not so unpleasant. Most are surprised at how easy 60-70% is.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #23
fuegote

fuegote

I recently got me an HRM and it's amazing. I love knowing how many calories lost by weight resistance training. I think it very beneficial to know my heart rate while I'm running.

I agree with ER, if you're working out, you should have one.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I think everyone should own a HRM. Ironically, typically it's only serious athletes who have them, but weekend warriors would really benefit. The reason is--it keeps you from overtraining. The tendency is to go out really hard because you're all excited about getting in shape. Then you get injured or get sick of it and quit. Staying around 70% will keep this from happening because it's not so unpleasant. Most are surprised at how easy 60-70% is.
In the past I wore one religiously and maybe I'll go back to wearing one. However, after a while, I simply stopped as I usually knew the range. After a while though you can find that you get lazy so a monitor can be useful to increase your effort, especially during intervals.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #25
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Back on track

After the down week from being sick and accompanying 4 lb gain, last week I lost that 4+1. Did 17 miles on the treadmill. No bike because the weather has not been cooperating.

Total loss to date is now at 9 lbs. Even better, this weekend I felt like my suit pants were too big and could stick my fist in the waistband.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #26
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Got back out on the bike today

now that it's warmed up a bit. Made it 3 miles this time, averaging 10.4 mph. Also have a HRM now so I know how hard I'm working. The bike is more like 75-90% for me ... whereas on the treadmill I try to keep it at 70%. But I think that's good as the bike is a harder workout, but the treadmill is longer.

Total burned today via exercise: 1065 calories. 825 walking, 240 on the bike.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Total loss to date is now at 9 lbs. Even better, this weekend I felt like my suit pants were too big and could stick my fist in the waistband.
The weight loss is great, but the fist in the pants thing probabyl should be just for the folks at home, you know what I mean?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #28
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The weight loss is great, but the fist in the pants thing probabyl should be just for the folks at home, you know what I mean?
Hey there. You better be careful or I'll post a before picture.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Did someone mention fisting?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I suggest that Mike change FM's board name to Al Bundy.

Any seconds?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote