cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

You can totally do it. I have a few pieces of advice: go to a specialty running store (Wasatch Running Co. on 90th and State is great) and have your gait analyzed, so you get put in the right shoe. Don't skimp on shoes.

Start slowly. If you think you're going to go from no running to winning your age group in two months, you're wrong. Be smart about the training. I would echo the advice to use Hal Higdon. He is a great coach. He also hosts a message board with several very knowledgeable runners posting there. They will give you excellent advice. Hal himself chimes in from time to time.
http://www.trainingpeaks.com/halforumslogin.asp

Most of all, since it's your first race and you don't have a lot of time to train, make finishing the race your ONLY goal this time. Don't worry about time, pace, or anything, just finish the thing. You'll be proud as hell when you're done, and you're more likely to get through it without injury. It's hard on the ego to see old men, women and even some kids passing you during the race, but trust me, you'll at least live to fight another day. Don't be stupid and try to run too fast.

I'm running the full that day. I ran the 1/2 last year, and the big gripe I heard was lack of mile markers. I ran with a Garmin so I didn't even notice. But the main complaint you always hear about Devine Racing is that they treat their half marys as an afterthought. But for a first time race, I think it would be great. I say go for it.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm definetly not doing it to race...that would be asninine my first time out.

I'm just wanting to finish and see if I can even do it.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #13
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm definetly not doing it to race...that would be asninine my first time out.

I'm just wanting to finish and see if I can even do it.
When I did my first and only half marathon. I decided about 2 months before that I was going to it. I had never really run before in my life. You can definatly do it. I went too hard and it hurt alot, but I made it. with some training you should be fine. Just don't have unrealistic goals like I always do.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
fuegote

fuegote

I started really running in December and I did a treadmill half marathon 5 weeks later. Totally doable. I think I may to the SLC half as well.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
I started really running in December and I did a treadmill half marathon 5 weeks later. Totally doable. I think I may to the SLC half as well.
Man fuegote, I can think of nothing worse than a treadmill half marathon. I love my treadmill, and I will happily do 4-5 miles on it with the tv on and the ipod on, but a freakin' half marathon on it may just lead me to commit suicide.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Man fuegote, I can think of nothing worse than a treadmill half marathon. I love my treadmill, and I will happily do 4-5 miles on it with the tv on and the ipod on, but a freakin' half marathon on it may just lead me to commit suicide.

Go for it. No more freaky avatars.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it, Utestar!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #18
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Rocky, I agree that it is totally doable in 2 months. Just be smart about it, especially the first 2-3 weeks if you basically haven't run at all in a long time. Increasing mileage too quickly is a good way to end up with plantar fasciitis or shin splints.

Once you have a decent base, and I use the term very loosely because running for 3 weeks is hardly a good base, your longer run on the weekends should gradually increase to the point where you are able to do 8-10 miles. My experience has been that if you are able to put in 8 or 9 miles, its not that much of stretch to reach 13 miles. A couple of months ago, SteelBlue and I had been doing 6 miles 3 times weekly. One Saturday we decided to do 10 miles, and the next weekend we did 13 miles. And it was really not a big deal.

Dirt or crushed gravel/cinder trails are a plus for getting miles in.

Oh, and like Arch says, don't skimp on the shoes.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #19
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, you said you wanted honest so here goes. Can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? Probably not. If you have been doing absolutely nothing as far as running goes then you are very likely looking at some injuries. As I've learned the hard way many times, the heart and lungs are ready to be pushed much sooner than the ol' tendons. If you do this thing make sure you take bluegoose's advice and run on dirt or cinder trails. The tough part for you is going to be getting in enough base miles to not get injured on your longer runs. And make sure to buy good shoes.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote