cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utah HP tasers John Gardner

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/u...rist&printer=1

This sucker should never work again. This is outrageous.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/u...rist&printer=1

This sucker should never work again. This is outrageous.

I don't know what you think the cop did wrong. Any time you get a traffic ticket the police can arrest you or they can release you on a summons, which you have to sign as acknowledgment that you will appear on the court date indicated. If you won't sign then the officer arrests you.

Here, the guy wouldn't sign. The officer orders him out and attempts to arrest him. He tells him to place his hand behind his back which is a perfectly lawful command. The guy says no then tries to walk away. The officer could have tackled him, taken his legs out with a baton, etc to effect the arrest. Reasonable force can be used to make an arrest. I think he actually employed the least harmful tactic he had available. If he tackles him he risks being injured. A gun was not called for at that juncture.

Help me understand what is improper here. You sign your ticket or you get arrested, period. You disobey the lawful command of an officer who is arresting you, expect you are going to be subdued. Looks proper to me. Maybe I have missed something.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I don't know what you think the cop did wrong. Any time you get a traffic ticket the police can arrest you or they can release you on a summons, which you have to sign as acknowledgment that you will appear on the court date indicated. If you won't sign then the officer arrests you.

Here, the guy wouldn't sign. The officer orders him out and attempts to arrest him. He tells him to place his hand behind his back which is a perfectly lawful command. The guy says no then tries to walk away. The officer could have tackled him, taken his legs out with a baton, etc to effect the arrest. Reasonable force can be used to make an arrest. I think he actually employed the least harmful tactic he had available. If he tackles him he risks being injured. A gun was not called for at that juncture.

Help me understand what is improper here. You sign your ticket or you get arrested, period. You disobey the lawful command of an officer who is arresting you, expect you are going to be subdued. Looks proper to me. Maybe I have missed something.
You get arrested for failing to sign a ticket? That's absurd. And then you get tasered? Perhaps in your part of Talibanistan that seems right but it seems wrong to me. And the commanding officer apparently is reviewing the situation. What harm is there if a person doesn't sign it?

Geeze, from ticket to arrest and tasering.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

The guy may have had a legit argument, but he went about it the wrong way. Signing a ticket is not admitting guilt. Can't say I feel sorry for him. The officer gave plenty of warning and was clear in his requests/instructions.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:43 AM   #5
Colly Wolly

Quote:
You get arrested for failing to sign a ticket? That's absurd. And then you get tasered? Perhaps in your part of Talibanistan that seems right but it seems wrong to me. And the commanding officer apparently is reviewing the situation. What harm is there if a person doesn't sign it?

I think having the citizen sign the ticket shows that the cop did his job the right way. It keeps the cop in check. Among other things.

What is the cop supposed to do if he won't sign the ticket? Let him go on his merry way?
Old 11-23-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You didn't know that? Whenever you are released on a summons your signature is your promise to appear. Otherwise you get arrested and a magistrate makes a decision on bail. It is a criminal offense.

So when the officer tries to make the arrest and the guy disobeys, heads back to his car to leave and reaches into his pocket.....what is the officer supposed to do? This belligerent kids does this to himself. The part that amazed me was then this moron gets up off the ground and approaches the officer from behind. Wow. When I saw that part of the video I was cringing and thinking this guy is about to get acquainted with Mr. Baton.

When the cops pull you over or tell you to do anything, you do it. These guys get killed in the course of traffic stops. That is just common sense. This kid had none.

I will say that I think the officer orders him out of the car too soon. I think the better course is to try and calm him down and explain that signing is not an admission of guilt, but once he orders him out (which he is well within the law to do) to effect and arrest, what follows is created by the kid. My guess is that if he doesn't resist the officer puts him in cuffs, explains the choice to him again and the kids signs the stupid ticket.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
The guy may have had a legit argument, but he went about it the wrong way. Signing a ticket is not admitting guilt. Can't say I feel sorry for him. The officer gave plenty of warning and was clear in his requests/instructions.
My daughter got a speeding ticket on Sunday. she was also given a warning ticket for not finding her registration in short enough time. Some of these officers are one step above the TSA. A little bit of power and a gun and it goes to their head.

Why wouldn't the officer tell him how fast he was going? Then he could decide whether to sign the ticket. What is wrong with a citizen asking what he specifically is being cited for? 5, 10, 15, 30 miles over the limit?

The officer was on an ego trip.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
My daughter got a speeding ticket on Sunday. she was also given a warning ticket for not finding her registration in short enough time. Some of these officers are one step above the TSA. A little bit of power and a gun and it goes to their head.

Why wouldn't the officer tell him how fast he was going? Then he could decide whether to sign the ticket. What is wrong with a citizen asking what he specifically is being cited for? 5, 10, 15, 30 miles over the limit?

The officer was on an ego trip.
I'll agree that the cop did appear to be on an ego trip.

It seemed like the clip jumped a bit in a couple of places. I'm wondering if we saw/heard everything that went down prior to the dude stepping out of the car.

Last edited by Colly Wolly; 11-23-2007 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
You didn't know that? Whenever you are released on a summons your signature is your promise to appear. Otherwise you get arrested and a magistrate makes a decision on bail. It is a criminal offense.

So when the officer tries to make the arrest and the guy disobeys, heads back to his car to leave and reaches into his pocket.....what is the officer supposed to do? This belligerent kids does this to himself. The part that amazed me was then this moron gets up off the ground and approaches the officer from behind. Wow. When I saw that part of the video I was cringing and thinking this guy is about to get acquainted with Mr. Baton.

When the cops pull you over or tell you to do anything, you do it. These guys get killed in the course of traffic stops. That is just common sense. This kid had none.

I will say that I think the officer orders him out of the car too soon. I think the better course is to try and calm him down and explain that signing is not an admission of guilt, but once he orders him out (which he is well within the law to do) to effect and arrest, what follows is created by the kid. My guess is that if he doesn't resist the officer puts him in cuffs, explains the choice to him again and the kids signs the stupid ticket.
I agree with you that the kid was a retard and the officer was technically correct, but why does the cop have to be such a dick? Why not tell the kid how fast he is going? Why not explain that failure to sign will result in his arrest before simply ordering him out of the vehicle. It did not have to escalate to this point.

It's this arrogant, disrespectful, "I AM the law" and "do it because I say so" attitude this officer and many others like him display that I have a problem with. I realize that they have a dangerous job and I appreciate what they do, but they have to remember they are servants of the people and should use a little more restraint and common sense. IMO, this officer abused his power. A little more Andy Taylor is in order at times.

As for tasers, I like to see ute fans get tased as much as the next guy , but I think they're too quick to use them some times.

Last edited by Venkman; 11-23-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Question for lawyers: was the officer's search of the vehicle legal? It looked illegal to me.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote