cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Actually Mike, unlike you, I don't want it to be a fucking war. I want it to be a lot easier than that. People like you on both sides are the problem. Not people like me.
When you say "not people like me," do you mean people who put signs in their lawn supporting candidates that want to stifle the opinions of others?

Or do you just get bugged when you find yourself in the uncomfortable position of being in the minorty in your neighborhood?

I remember a group of good ole boys in the South who operated under the same credo: We were here first...we built this place....get out and get your own place.....

It was a grand old club.....or Klan, I mean....yes, it was definitely a Klan....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
When you say "not people like me," do you mean people who put signs in their lawn supporting candidates that want to stifle the opinions of others?

Or do you just get bugged when you find yourself in the uncomfortable position of being in the minorty in your neighborhood?

I remember a group of good ole boys in the South who operated under the same credo: We were here first...we built this place....get out and get your own place.....

It was a grand old club.....or Klan, I mean....yes, it was definitely a Klan....
Remember that the value of that neighborhood is due to the LDS families that built the homes and its proximity to downtown. It has nothing to do with gay folks moving in.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #33
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You've extrapolated from one sign to an entire movement. Nice. What would happen if a Mexican kicked your dog? Or a black scraped your door in a parking lot?
No, I've extrapolated from one sign and the effort to create enclaves (as previously mentioned) that there is a desire to create said enclaves and gay ghettos where solidarity is at the fore. Those things, in conjunction with my gay phone book, gay neighborhood council, and other things result in my belief that there is an effort to create an environment where alternative political thought is discouraged. If you would focus on the point more and less on trying to find opportunities to spout pre-prepared opinions, you migh actually know what's going on. Instead, you wanted to give me a lecture on housing prices gleaned from an article about gentrification. Now, seeing that your article and use of an "intellectual" term does not suffice for the board combat you seek, you want to create a situation about Mexican's and dogs. Let me guess, you have an article on that subject too. In that article, are you the dog or the mexican? Or maybe you want to talk about black people and driving. I can only assume the goal of this is to talk about my car. Either way, let's talk about the point from the first post. Is it appropriate to create enclaves of unified political thought by alienating and attacking those who don't agree with you? I contend that it isn't appropriate. I also contend that in the case of minority groups it is considered more appropriate due to what I name the Robin Hood syndrome. If you have a thought on that topic, by all means, respond. If instead you want to talk about the gentrification of dogs by black people driving mexican made cars, someone else will have to respond because I can't keep up with you in your area of expertise.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #34
K-dog

Quote:
My implication is this: Dont complain about being persecuted while living in a neighborhood called "Marmalade" UNLESS you have walked a mile in Kevin Bacon's shoes. If you think it is tough in SLC, try living down by the Lehi Rollermills.

Now I don't have any idea what you're talking about. I don't live in Marmalade.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #35
K-dog

Quote:

I think it is obvious from the quote that I'm opposed to people on both sides who are trying to make it a war...people not like me.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #36
K-dog

Quote:
Remember that the value of that neighborhood is due to the LDS families that built the homes and its proximity to downtown. It has nothing to do with gay folks moving in.
I think anyone would agree that the neighborhood was populated by LDS families originally, starting in the early 1900s. I think everyone would agree it is close to downtown. As a result, I think everyone would agree the neighborhood was created by them and has remained vibrant ever since and as a result, your gentrification argument is contrived and foolish.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I think it is obvious from the quote that I'm opposed to people on both sides who are trying to make it a war...people not like me.
As a self-professed Swiss, what would you have the gays do? NOT try to galvanize support and political representation? Or just move away to San Francisco, where all gays should live? Heaven forbid they branch out and move to other areas and seek political and economic clout.

You mentioned earlier about mexican cars. Wouldnt this be a sweet car for your neighborhood?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here is an article about Marmalade. I guess it's just a coincidence that the featured example is of a person who bought a boarded up house and renovated it. Just a coincidence. No, there is no gentrification going on in the Marmalade district.

Quote:
Aaron was drawn to the area because of its multifaceted diversity and proximity to downtown. He also was able to buy, in 1990, a boarded-up, 1918 bungalow for $29,900 and renovate it for another $20,000.
http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_7439427

No gay development, gentrification, economic issues going on here:

Quote:
And Marmalade is about to get even hipper - and perhaps more gay - with the construction of Rick Howa's mixed-use project along 300 West from 500 North to 600 North, Aaron noted in Q Salt Lake last year, precipitating the gayborhood debate question.
The $50 million project, also called "Marmalade," will feature 90 high-end condos and 50,000 square feet of shops, service-oriented businesses and eateries. Preference is being given to locally owned businesses, says De Lay, who is handling the condo sales.
None here either.

Quote:
In a live debate hosted by The Salt Lake Tribune and KUTV Channel 2 one week before Election Day, the candidates were asked if they would support a "gayborhood" taking root in the Marmalade district that boasts gay-owned businesses, according to a recent issue of Q Salt Lake magazine, which caters to a lesbian and gay audience.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7327645?source=rv

Sad that you live there and are so unaware of the issues.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #39
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Here is an article about Marmalade. I guess it's just a coincidence that the featured example is of a person who bought a boarded up house and renovated it. Just a coincidence. No, there is no gentrification going on in the Marmalade district.

http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_7439427

No gay development, gentrification, economic issues going on here:

None here either.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7327645?source=rv

Sad that you live there and are so unaware of the issues.
All these gentrification examples are a red herring. Just because you bring in shopping and eateries, create jobs, and increase the overall economic footprint by giving preference to locally-owned businesses, it doesnt mean you are adding value. Gays are NOT adding value in this neighborhood. Get your facts straight.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

More about gay gentrification of the Marmalade district:

http://qsaltlake.com/2004/7/feature.shtml