cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 11-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Gayborhoods?

I just read another article on the Marmalade district of SLC and their effort to define themselves as a "gayborhood." I'm intrigued by the effort to label and carve out districts that are predominantly homosexual. The 'Mos seem to be trying to create their own area in each city where others views aren't tolerated. As someone living in one of the areas they are trying to control, I get really sick of their constant efforts to silence the opinions of others and impose on others lives.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I just read another article on the Marmalade district of SLC and their effort to define themselves as a "gayborhood." I'm intrigued by the effort to label and carve out districts that are predominantly homosexual. The 'Mos seem to be trying to create their own area in each city where others views aren't tolerated. As someone living in one of the areas they are trying to control, I get really sick of their constant efforts to silence the opinions of others and impose on others lives.
Agreed. Why is it okay for "minority" groups to do this? Isn't this what the civil rights movement was about?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Agreed. Why is it okay for "minority" groups to do this? Isn't this what the civil rights movement was about?
I think it is a version of the Robin Hood syndrome. The idea the the perceived disadvantaged can do whatever to those perceived as advantaged.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Gays will typically move into marginal neighborhoods, that educated well-off non-gay folks would not move to. They start rehabilitating the neighborhoods and then suddenly the straight people start moving in as well.

Gay neighbors is about as good as you can do in terms of neighbors.

If you really hate what has happened then don't be a hypocrite. Donate the increased value of your home when you sell to an anti-gay group.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Gays will typically move into marginal neighborhoods, that educated well-off non-gay folks would not move to. They start rehabilitating the neighborhoods and then suddenly the straight people start moving in as well.

If you really hate what has happened then don't be a hypocrite. Donate the increased value of your home when you sell to an anti-gay group.
I'm not sure what the donation nonsense has to do with it but what I hate is the effort to silence those with differing viewpoints. I like my neighborhood, I like my neighbors. The homosexuals in my neighborhood have not created the value in the neighborhood. The value was created by LDS families long ago and by the incredible proximity to downtown. What they have created in the Avenues and in other areas is an environment that is increasingly hostile to non-HGLBTC lifestyle friendly peoples.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I'm not sure what the donation nonsense has to do with it but what I hate is the effort to silence those with differing viewpoints. I like my neighborhood, I like my neighbors. The homosexuals in my neighborhood have not created the value in the neighborhood. The value was created by LDS families long ago and by the incredible proximity to downtown. What they have created in the Avenues and in other areas is an environment that is increasingly hostile to non-HGLBTC lifestyle friendly peoples.
When you stop profiting from them, I'll listen. My account is set to "hypocritical post - OFF" right now.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:

that was a fun little generalization.

Call me crazy, but my experience is that there are good gay neighbors and bad gay neighbors, just as I've seen with straight neighbors. Not sure why gay neighbors would be any better than straight neighbors or vice versa.

funny how that works. Apparently you've had a different experience. One that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but who am I to argue with your experience? Assuming that is what you're basing that comment on.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
K-dog

Quote:
When you stop profiting from them, I'll listen. My account is set to "hypocritical post - OFF" right now.
How am I profiting from them? If I owned a house in a bad neighborhood and gay people were moving in I would be profiting from them. For example, if I owned a house in Marmalade, you would have an argument. In the Aves...you have no argument. It isn't more gay now than it was before I bought. Therefore, explain how I am profiting from gay people if they aren't increasing demand?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

To my knowledge, Vegas doesn't have gayborhoods, though I understand they exist in other areas. Now somebody may point out where they exist, but I haven't really focused upon that concept.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

More about gays and gentrification:

Quote:
Gay men

Manuel Castells's seminal work on gay men as "gentrifiers" in San Francisco has revealed a pattern replicated, to some degree, in other North American cities, as "many [gays] were single men, did not have to raise a family (in urban schools of questionable quality), were young, and connected to a relatively prosperous service economy" (Castells, 1983, p. 160). Many gay and lesbian people leave their towns and neighborhoods of origin to start a new life and form a new community after coming out.

The PBS documentary Flag Wars [1] outlined the tension between an urban African-American community in the old silk stocking district of Columbus, Ohio and the mainly white gays and lesbians moving in, who were accused of gentrification and racism.

Real estate trends can push out poorer gay people, as in San Francisco's Polk District; radical queer activists saw the value of an impoverished neighborhood as a refuge for the economically, sexually and socially marginalized, while others saw renovations and increased real estate values as signs of improvement in the neighborhood.[2] A gay neighborhood might be termed a gay ghetto.[citation needed]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_village

The process is going on in Dallas as gays have moved to an impoverished area in South Dallas, have reinvigorated an art district, etc.