cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #21
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
President Hinckley noted a similar trend in college enrollment a year ago.

http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...646-23,00.html

What does this have to do with whether or not women should stay in the home?
That's right, they should go to an elite university and get an Mrs. degree.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #22
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Note to Marsupial:

I'm not questioning that some women prefer to devote full time to raising children, are better suited for it than their husbands, and are happy doing so. Nor am I passing judgment; it's a noble calling.

I am, however, attacking the proposition that there is a best way to raise a family, and that is full-time dad, and stay at home mom.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #23
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I disagree. Goatnapper, Indy, Ute4Evever, Tex, among others have expressed the view that a woman's place is in the home at least as far as they are concerned.
I have stated that I believe that children are better served when a parent is the primary caregiver. I don't buy into the quality versus quantity and I don't think child care is a good replacement for a parent as the primary caregiver.

I think my wife is better fit to do that in our situation.

However, I think it is a woman's choice, I just wouldn't have married a woman who did not want to do it, but that is my choice.

I am not sure how the fact that women are every bit as capable of men has to do with my opinion. It appears to me that SeattleUte is the bigot as he believes it is fact that any stay at home mom is such because she is not equipped to compete with the fellas. My opinion has nothing to do with capacity of womenfolk.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #24
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It appears to me that SeattleUte is the bigot as he believes it is fact that any stay at home mom is such because she is not equipped to compete with the fellas. My opinion has nothing to do with capacity of womenfolk.
Nice try. Playing the bigot card at places such as these is like using comparisons to Hitler. It better be spot on or it means you're grasping.

Now, to your point. See my note to Marsupial. See also, my note above that I have known many stay at home moms unhappy being such who seemingly would have been more fulfilled working.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think the premise of the male chauvenist perspective (if it is to have any objective and/or moral underpinning at all) is that the work of raising a family including economically providing for it must be divided according to the male's and the female's respective strengths and weaknesses, i.e., what each is best suited for doing well. So I think that employers' judgments that women are disproporationately attaining that creditential that is most meaningful to employers for predicting future success in demanding and high paying full time employement is self-evidently highly relevant. You have yet, by the way, to address this simple, common sense point.
Up until this post, you refused to make "this simple, common sense point."

I don't agree with the perspective that women are better suited for raising a family because they are naturally unsuited to the workplace. Thus, I agree with you that employer interest in highly educated females is indicative of their collective inherent ability.

If one is to make an argument that women are to stay at home, there are better reasons to support it than to say they are weak in the workplace.

Quote:
I know you are Boyd K. Packer's cyborg but sometimes your position is so untenable all you are capable of doing is throwing up sophistry. You are relentless, I'll give you that.
Up until this post, I didn't take a position. So it would impossible for it to be "untenable."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #26
SeattleUte

My the way, I know this is not conclusive but thousands of years of history across vast reaches of civilization are on my side. There has only been such a thing as stay at home moms in relatively insular and brief places and times, predominantly in mid-twentieth century America.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #27
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I disagree. Goatnapper, Indy, Ute4Evever, Tex, among others have expressed the view that a woman's place is in the home at least as far as they are concerned.

Did they say in all cases or the majority of cases. I think I would say I agree with them in most cases.

However, I wouldn't go fundamentalist on it like some and feel I need to help women in the ward who work see the light.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #28
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Nice try. Playing the bigot card at places such as these is like using comparisons to Hitler. It better be spot on or it means you're grasping.

Now, to your point. See my note to Marsupial. See also, my note above that I have known many stay at home moms unhappy being such who seemingly would have been more fulfilled working.
Why would they have been more fullfilled? Maybee they are just miserable people who have their simple minds filled with all of your questioning liberal bullshit and you are easilly able to persuade them into feeling sorry for themselves.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #29
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
My the way, I know this is not conclusive but thousands of years of history across vast reaches of civilization are on my side. There has only been such a thing as stay at home moms in relatively insular and brief places and times, predominantly in mid-twentieth century America.
I think stay at home is better replaced with nurturing co-parent. The stay at home mome phenomenon is the result of major shifts in economics. In most civilizations it was impossible to accomplish, but often the mothers took their children with them to accomplish whatever the mothers did for the benefit of the family's existence. The point is that the concept of a parent being the primary caregiver is not insular and seemingly organic to only mid-twentieth century USA.

I think the traditional mormon family that you are imagining is the result moreso out of a belief about how the children are best served than immutable roles.

Dickhead.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #30
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Note to Marsupial:

I'm not questioning that some women prefer to devote full time to raising children, are better suited for it than their husbands, and are happy doing so. Nor am I passing judgment; it's a noble calling.

I am, however, attacking the proposition that there is a best way to raise a family, and that is full-time dad, and stay at home mom.
I agree that having a parent assume the position of full time caregiver is not the only right way to raise a family. There are many possibilities to make it work and every family situation is different. Many people can find flexible positions that keep them from logging in long hours at the office. For the record, I don't look down upon two income families.

I do wonder though how two career driven, workaholic parents can find the time necessary for their marriage and their children. The Cosby Show was a joke. They were a doctor and a lawyer with an inordinate amount of time to spend with their family. That's not real life. My point is that there is only 24 hours in a day and if both parents are spending 10 or more working and commuting there just isn't much left for anything else.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote