cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 09-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I think Tex is asking a fair question. I don't know that a woman being educated and also being a homemaker are mutually exclusive. I don't know, but I wouldn't assume that there is a 1:1 ratio between an increase in female enrollment and females in the work force, though I do assume they correlate.

I also think many (most?) women with the aptitude to go to college now do so without regard to, and probably not knowing, whether they will ever enter the work force or for how long. I know an awful lot of highly educated women who worked for a time, quit to raise their kids, and then went back to the work force or plan to.

I personally believe that raising ones own children is a very high calling if the family can afford it, and that education is a crucial to that job as any.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I don't know that a woman being educated and also being a homemaker are mutually exclusive.
That's not my point. Does anyone doubt that a smart, educated woman has more tools to be a better parent than the alternative?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You're arguing with me as though I've disagreed with you, but I haven't (yet).

I'm genuinely curious: why in your mind does high female enrollment naturally lead to the conclustion that "majority of women should be in the workforce for the good of society as well as their own economic well being and security as well as happiness."

It seems like a non sequiter to me. High female enrollment could mean highly educated mothers at home, could it not? I don't see how you get from one to the other.
Indeed, it could and does certainly mean more highly educated moms at home, which is much better than the old situation, for the kids as well as mom. But as far as my point is concerned, I think the relevance of this data is so self-evident that I'm not going to engage you any further than I have: Prospective employers hiring for elite jobs see a degree from a good college as highly relevant, probably the most important factor among young men and women, predicting suitability for the job in question.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That's not my point. Does anyone doubt that a smart, educated woman has more tools to be a better parent than the alternative?
Most probably. The only question which I float, even if I do not agree, is whether the formal educational training will detract from the willingness to make the necessary sacrifices required of a parent.

Once you're trained you tend to follow your training.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I personally believe that raising ones own children is a very high calling if the family can afford it, and that education is a crucial to that job as any.
Well said.

When children are brought into a home it is in the best interest of all parties involved if one of the parents puts career-climbing on hold and either assumes the position of full time caregiver or accepts a more flexible position in the work force. There are only so many hours in a day and when both parents are in demanding careers the marriage and the children suffer.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Well said.

When children are brought into a home it is in the best interest of all parties involved if one of the parents puts career-climbing on hold and either assumes the position of full time caregiver or accepts a more flexible position in the work force. There are only so many hours in a day and when both parents are in demanding careers the marriage and the children suffer.
This is a common view amongst Mormons, but is it true, or just Mormon urban myth, a Mum as it were?

Mind you, my spouse never really desired a career and is relatively fulfilled as a child care giver. However, I wonder if the children would have suffered had we balanced it differently.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #17
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Indeed, it could and does certainly mean more highly educated moms at home, which is much better than the old situation, for the kids as well as mom. But as far as my point is concerned, I think the relevance of this data is so self-evident that I'm not going to engage you any further than I have: Prospective employers hiring for elite jobs see a degree from a good college as highly relevant, probably the most important factor among young men and women, predicting suitability for the job in question.
So you're point is, highly educated candidates are more attractive to employers, both male and female? Okay. Seems pretty obvious.

What this has to do with "male chavunists" who think women should stay at home is not so "self-evident," but if you refuse to "engage" then I guess it'll remain a mystery.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This is a common view amongst Mormons, but is it true, or just Mormon urban myth, a Mum as it were?

Mind you, my spouse never really desired a career and is relatively fulfilled as a child care giver. However, I wonder if the children would have suffered had we balanced it differently.
I can tell you that without doubt, if I worked full time in a demanding position, clocking in more well over 8 hours a day, I would have little left for danimal and my family.

But note, I said parent, not mother. I knew a dad in Dallas who left the work force because life was too crazy. He and his wife were on the verge of divorce. Wanting to save his marriage and keep his three small children from a divided home he quit his job in sales and is now a stay at home dad. His wife, a corporate lawyer, continues as the family's breadwinner. He says he misses working but prefers his current situation to the chaos he lived before. It's not just a Mormon myth.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #19
marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The only question which I float...
Oh no, not floating again!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
So you're point is, highly educated candidates are more attractive to employers, both male and female? Okay. Seems pretty obvious.

What this has to do with "male chavunists" who think women should stay at home is not so "self-evident," but if you refuse to "engage" then I guess it'll remain a mystery.
I think the premise of the male chauvenist perspective (if it is to have any objective and/or moral underpinning at all) is that the work of raising a family including economically providing for it must be divided according to the male's and the female's respective strengths and weaknesses, i.e., what each is best suited for doing well. So I think that employers' judgments that women are disproporationately attaining that creditential that is most meaningful to employers for predicting future success in demanding and high paying full time employement is self-evidently highly relevant. You have yet, by the way, to address this simple, common sense point.

I know you are Boyd K. Packer's cyborg but sometimes your position is so untenable all you are capable of doing is throwing up sophistry. You are relentless, I'll give you that.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-18-2007 at 06:09 PM.