cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #31
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you believe him, that it was parts for his bike?

wow.
Well why else would he take a purple bike?

If he was really just out to snatch a bike you'd think he'd at least pick one that was a slightly more masculine color. Not to mention, she bought it at Shopko. If you're going to steal a bike why on earth would you steal a purple Shopko bike?

We still have no idea what kind of condition that bike was in.

Last edited by Black Diamond Bay; 09-10-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Well why else would he take a purple bike?

If he was really just out to snatch a bike you'd think he'd at least pick one that was a slightly more masculine color. Not to mention, she bought it at Shopko. If you're going to steal a bike why on earth would you steal a purple Shopko bike?

Not to mention we still have no idea what kind of condition that bike was in.
thieves steal all kinds of things. He took it for his gain, period. He didn't take it to donate to an orphanage. He took it so HE would get ahead, at the EXPENSE of another person.

He is a POS, and this is not an isolated case. I would serve a search warrant and look for other stolen things in his house.

I see no one has taken me up on my bet about future crimes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #33
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
thieves steal all kinds of things. He took it for his gain, period. He didn't take it to donate to an orphanage. He took it so HE would get ahead, at the EXPENSE of another person.

He is a POS, and this is not an isolated case. I would serve a search warrant and look for other stolen things in his house.

I see no one has taken me up on my bet about future crimes.
Oh there's no way I would take that bet. If he wasn't messed up before I guarantee this little incident has done a number on him. How would you ever live with yourself knowing that they might have found her in time if you hadn't snatched her bike? I hope for his sake they determine that she died on impact.

Now he's a serial thief? How could you possibly know that from reading ONE newspaper article?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Oh there's no way I would take that bet. If he wasn't messed up before I guarantee this little incident has done a number on him. How would you ever live with yourself knowing that they might have found her in time if you hadn't snatched her bike? I hope for his sake they determine that she died on impact.

Now he's a serial thief? How could you possibly know that from reading ONE newspaper article?
He was carrying wire cutters. That's how I know.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
My speculation is that the kids brought the bike back only because they realized that it was connected to a missing person; they feared that they would appear to be involved in the girl's disappearance if their theft was discovered three months later.

When they cut the lock on another person's bike, they knew they were stealing.
This is the most logical conclusion.

"Oh shoot, we're going to get it for murder."

They stole in all likelihood and it wasn't a complete beater bike.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #36
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
He was carrying wire cutters. That's how I know.
My cousin carries wire cutters in his car, and I'm positive that he's not out stealing stuff. I know he carries them because we had to use them to repair a barbed wire fence that we shot up one time. The farmer came out and freaked out at us about it and so my cousin rifled around in his gear, produced wire cutters. We used them to lop off a piece of barbed wire from an older collapsed fence and patch the portion of the fence that we had broken.

I honestly have no idea why he had wire cutters in his truck, but it didn't really strike me as all that unusual at the time. He's always has a ton of tools with him.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #37
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If Indy, Tex and Lingo were in a bishopric, you'd probably see a high number of excommunications.

If SIEQ, SoCal and Santos were, we'd probably see more informal discipline and formal probations.
Accepting Arch's ridiculous premise for argument's sake, I guess that puts Mike Waters solidly in the "high number of exommunications" category.

Welcome to world of fire and brimstone, Mike. Glad to have you on board.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Accepting Arch's ridiculous premise for argument's sake, I guess that puts Mike Waters solidly in the "high number of exommunications" category.

You're not a cyclist so you wouldn't understand. A bike is holy which may not be touched or besmirched except by its owner. Any desecrator deserves life imprisonment or death or worse.

However, in reality, the real crime perpetrated is the potential that stealing the evidence may have had upon the investigation into the disappearance of the student. A stolen bike should probably not be prosecuted, unless it was my bike. And then they should nuke the sucker.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #39
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My cousin carries wire cutters in his car, and I'm positive that he's not out stealing stuff. I know he carries them because we had to use them to repair a barbed wire fence that we shot up one time. The farmer came out and freaked out at us about it and so my cousin rifled around in his gear, produced wire cutters. We used them to lop off a piece of barbed wire from an older collapsed fence and patch the portion of the fence that we had broken.

I honestly have no idea why he had wire cutters in his truck, but it didn't really strike me as all that unusual at the time. He's always has a ton of tools with him.
I would be very surprised if they cut through a bike lock with your run-of-the-mill wire cutters. Unless it was the dead of night and they had a lot of time to pull it off. More likely that it was a set of bolt cutters.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

For you to equate the two issues implies that you see excommunication as a punishment or form of retribution doled out to unrepentant guilty suckers. Thus contradicting your earlier stance (a gentle act of love).