cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think your post pretty much summarizes the problem of people passing judgement on blacks.
Agree
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
Earl C. Tingley said dogfighting worse than cockfighting when dogs have spirits cocks don't. Forgot to ask if all dogs go to heaven.

There's my submission for GV impersonation of the day. And yes, I know it's Tingey.
The Earl C. Tingey part is where you lost us.

Maybe you should have started...Once had dinner with Elder Tingey. Earl said dogfighting...
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #23
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
I thought this was a forum for debate? Or are we only allowed to talk about things that make us feel tingley?
I said that because your wild extrapolations of a few protestors that represent the "problems" of a group of 40 million people. In my experience people who make such generalizations are 1) ignorant (either wilfully or through neglect) 2) racist, sexist (if the subject matter is race) or 3) they lack sufficient life experience to understand that generalizations say more about the generalizer than about the group described.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #24
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The Earl C. Tingey part is where you lost us.

Maybe you should have started...Once had dinner with Elder Tingey. Earl said dogfighting...
Would you believe I had a start pretty much drafted up like that and then changed it? My inner grapevine is more in tune than I thought. I'll have to trust it more next time.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #25
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

Wild extrapolations? 70% of blacks thought OJ was innocent...after the trial, and it became taboo, and a running joke, for famous blacks to say "no comment" when asked about OJ if they thought he did it.

Recently I read an ESPN poll that 37% of blacks think Bonds never used steriods compared to 76% of white fans that believe Bonds did use steriods.

Newsflash, blacks and whites, as groups, see things differently and exploring those differences doesn't make someone ignorant, racist, or lacking experience.

The most ignorant line of thinking is submission to social taboos in an open forum. How else are you going to discuss what is generally happening without using generalizations? It's always fascinating to me that a black person and a white person can make the same argument, but it can only be publically discussed if it comes out of a black mouth.

When Bill Cosby talks about blacks needing to get fathers in the home, it becomes debatable. If I say that black need to get fathers in the home, I'll be labeled an ignorant racist that shouldn't generalize about people of color. Intellectually honesty gets thrown out the window when race is involved. Yeah, and I'm the ignorant one.

Last edited by Insensitive PAP; 08-28-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: clarity
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #26
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Recently I read an ESPN poll that 37% of blacks think Bonds never used steriods as opposed to 76% of white fans.
Care to rephrase that? I'm not sure it says what you meant it to say.