cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
So you disagree that blacks are more likely than not to dismiss charges against other blacks as unfair or racist?
This from a guy that wouldn't criticize the anti-Christ until he first determined his party affiliation.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
This from a guy that wouldn't criticize the anti-Christ until he first determined his party affiliation.
What a stupid accusation. The anti-Christ will obviously be a Democrat.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #13
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What a stupid accusation. The anti-Christ will obviously be a Democrat.
lol... nice...
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
have in society.

1. That you pass off dogfighting as a mistake that anyone could make.

2. That you would teach you child to protest this.
I do think there is a cultural issue here within the black community on this. A small part of my practice is criminal defense and my anecdotal experience is that no matter what a black person has done, when I talk to them (of course generalizing here but I would say 80% of the time or better) they are focused on why the process or the charge is somehow unfair. They are being singled out, other people were doing worse things, the police are out to get them, the police are racist, the prosecutor is out to get them etc. And you can't talk them out of it. I can;t even tell you how many have said to me "I know how it works in the back rooms around here, who do we need to pay off." When I explain that just isn't the case, it just confirms t many of them that I am part of the conspiracy. This just is not nearly as true with other races. Latinos for example, for the most part, usually fess right up and want their punishment over quickly. Whites above all will do anything not to go to jail and that is their big concern.

I don't share that to say "blacks are inferior" somehow. It has just become very clear to me that within that community there is a pervasive belief that the police, the government etc are out to get them and they view the world through that lens. It is analogous to how so many LDS are prone to seeing "anti-LDS" sentiment when what they are really seeing is ignorance.

I have sometimes thought that was as LDS have a persecution complex because, in fact, at points in the past and occasionally now, we were in fact persecuted. Multiply that by two or three orders of magnitude and you begin to understand the "black" view of society. They probably come by it rightfully, but the inability to see cause and effect in the world hinders them as a group.

I am not surprised in the least that many in the black community think Vick is being picked on. When you explain to them that the dog fighting evidence was discovered in a search for something completely unrelated and the can't just ignore evidence of other crimes, it does little to change what they already know in their hearts.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:45 AM   #15
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Which part do you disagree with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think your post pretty much summarizes the problem of people passing judgement on blacks.
Is it that blacks have trouble integrating into society? That dogfighting is something that anyone can mistake their way into? Or that you should have kids protesting for admitted dog torture and gambling activity?
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #16
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Is it that blacks have trouble integrating into society? That dogfighting is something that anyone can mistake their way into? Or that you should have kids protesting for admitted dog torture and gambling activity?
You need to take some time off the board to get some life experiences.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #17
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default I've had more than my fair share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I thought this was a forum for debate? Or are we only allowed to talk about things that make us feel tingley?
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #18
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought this was a forum for debate? Or are we only allowed to talk about things that make us feel tingley?
Earl C. Tingley said dogfighting worse than cockfighting when dogs have spirits cocks don't. Forgot to ask if all dogs go to heaven.

There's my submission for GV impersonation of the day. And yes, I know it's Tingey.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Translation: "No one with 'life experience' could ever come to a different conclusion than I have."
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #20
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Translation: "No one with 'life experience' could ever come to a different conclusion than I have."
Translation: I know what anyone else is thinking better than they do.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote