cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default prostitution in Iraq

this is so depressing.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/...ion/index.html

Imagine you dying and your wife prostituting herself so that her children can survive. And imagine the children being in the same room each standing in a corner (because there is no other room).

Life is unbelievably shitty for so many people on this planet. We prefer not to think about it. We have more pressing things, like our next training ride, or getting that new piece of camping equipment, or calling directv about the mtn, etc.

If only these were the problems of everyone on the planet.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
this is so depressing.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/...ion/index.html

Imagine you dying and your wife prostituting herself so that her children can survive. And imagine the children being in the same room each standing in a corner (because there is no other room).

Life is unbelievably shitty for so many people on this planet. We prefer not to think about it. We have more pressing things, like our next training ride, or getting that new piece of camping equipment, or calling directv about the mtn, etc.

If only these were the problems of everyone on the planet.
Kudos. Waters is no cruel consrevative.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

this is a slightly different direction--one could theorize that polygamy could help in situations where there are not enough men and too many women.

This is not some trivial notion I just made up in my head. My great-great grandmother had exactly this happen. Dirt poor in the desert west, her husband just died, kids to take care of. Her husband, before he died, asked his friend to marry her as a second wife and take care of his family. Which this man honored. I have the name of the first husband, but I'm actually blood of the 2nd.

But in Iraq, I presume polygamy is legal. Marrying a dirt poor woman + kids, I'm not sure how that is viewed in their society, but I presume there is not a great incentive to do so.

[/End thought experiment and ruminating]
Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Borderline Divine

Borderline Divine
Default Well cry me a river

If these people had not meekly put up with Saddam they wouldn't be in this mess. Especially the ones who supported him after his henchmen attacked us on 9/11. At least now we are taking the fight to the terrorists, who will just follow us home if we pull our troops out to defend our own borders against filthy illegals.

As soon as we find where Bin-Laden is hiding in either Bagdhad or Fallujah we will have won the war against terrorism. As our President said five years ago to the evildoer "you can run but you can't hide."

God bless our commander-in-chief and I hope he enjoys yet another restful month of August in Crawford, Tx. You can say what you want about the man's politics, but nobody can deny what a hard worker, articulate spokesman and world visionary he is.
Borderline Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In seriousness, if you really care about the lives of these people, that is, you value the life of the Iraqi prostitute as much as you value Private Jim Smith of Kentucky, you stay in Iraq.

Of course, most Americans don't value the life of the Iraqi prostitute as much as they value Private Jim Smith of Kentucky.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Borderline Divine

Borderline Divine
Default Was she a prostitute before the invasion?

Just wondering if her fall came before or after Bush decided to punish Saddam for 9/11?

Also, if US troops are her salvation, well, she is a prostitute now and we have 135,000 troops there now.
Borderline Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderline Divine View Post
If these people had not meekly put up with Saddam they wouldn't be in this mess. Especially the ones who supported him after his henchmen attacked us on 9/11. At least now we are taking the fight to the terrorists, who will just follow us home if we pull our troops out to defend our own borders against filthy illegals.

As soon as we find where Bin-Laden is hiding in either Bagdhad or Fallujah we will have won the war against terrorism. As our President said five years ago to the evildoer "you can run but you can't hide."

God bless our commander-in-chief and I hope he enjoys yet another restful month of August in Crawford, Tx. You can say what you want about the man's politics, but nobody can deny what a hard worker, articulate spokesman and world visionary he is.
Is there actually a point being made here?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In seriousness, if you really care about the lives of these people, that is, you value the life of the Iraqi prostitute as much as you value Private Jim Smith of Kentucky, you stay in Iraq.
I agree ... we leave now and this will be just the beginning. It's sad enough that it's happening while we are there. One can only hope that the situation continues to get better and that situations like these are minimized.

Despite BD's unabashed bitterness, I truly believe that the future is brighter than the past for these people.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Of course, most Americans don't value the life of the Iraqi prostitute as much as they value Private Jim Smith of Kentucky.
Is it really that clear to you she's better off in the long run with us there? Do you think she's glad we came in the first place?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Is it really that clear to you she's better off in the long run with us there? Do you think she's glad we came in the first place?
at this point I think staying in Iraq contains a healthy dose of altruism.

Just like going to Darfur would be altruistic.

We messed it up, we need to clean it up, would be one argument.

I really don't know what people on the street think.