cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 06-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Finally some luck.

I FINALLY completed my first full sprint triathlon. I took 6 out of 10 in the Clydesdale division. 87 out 135 for Men.

Swim
00:21:58.290

It was my first competitive open water swim. I had what I would describe as a panic attack about 1/3 of the way through. During that time I never felt as if I could get enough air. This lasted for about 4-5 minutes. I lost some valuable time in this stretch.

T1
00:02:51.000

This includes about a minute run up to the transition area so I was okay with this number.

Bike
00:42:37.000

I was not very happy with this. I have been hitting the 35-37 minutes in training so I thought i would do better than this.

T2
00:00:33.500

pretty good.

Run
00:28:39.000

I was okay with the run, I have to work more on transitioning from bike to run. It is taking me about 1/2 to 1 mile to get my rhythm on the run. It compare it to having sea legs.

Overall
01:36:38.790

I feel pretty good for a first attempt. I really can't wait for the next one, which is the Xango Echo on July 12th.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Congrats man. Way to go. I knew you would eventually get a complete one in.

Looking back on some of my tri experiences I have felt many of the same things. Worst swim I ever had was in October in Lake Tahoe. I had that panic attack feeling and was the first time that I ever though that I could possibly die doing this. That is scary.

The first times you transition from bike to run are interesting as well. In my first tri I had cramps in my whole torsoe for the first mile after transition. It is hard to run when your stomach muscles and lower back are cramping.

Good luck at the Echo one, that was my first one and is a fast course.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Congrats man. Way to go. I knew you would eventually get a complete one in.

Looking back on some of my tri experiences I have felt many of the same things. Worst swim I ever had was in October in Lake Tahoe. I had that panic attack feeling and was the first time that I ever though that I could possibly die doing this. That is scary.

The first times you transition from bike to run are interesting as well. In my first tri I had cramps in my whole torsoe for the first mile after transition. It is hard to run when your stomach muscles and lower back are cramping.

Good luck at the Echo one, that was my first one and is a fast course.

Thanks piney. It is good to have it under my belt and now I feel I have a starting point on what to work on.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote