cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 05-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For off road experiences trail shoes are a must.

One key difference that Goose is ignoring to disclose to you is that they have "kevlar" in the sole to avoid punctures which occur when stepping onto rocks. Get some. Your feet will bless you if you do. If you use normal shoes, your shoes will curse you. Money well spent.
Exactly...
the firmer soles are the most important aspect of a trail shoe. Not necessarily for protection against punctures, but against feeling every rock on the trail.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Exactly...
the firmer soles are the most important aspect of a trail shoe. Not necessarily for protection against punctures, but against feeling every rock on the trail.
I hate offroad running but if I do, Motrose or however they are spelled are a must.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
ERCougar

Quote:
I hate offroad running but if I do, Motrose or however they are spelled are a must.
I think you probably mean Montrail, right? They're sort of the gold standard.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think you probably mean Montrail, right? They're sort of the gold standard.
That's what I meant. They have the kevlar layer in the sole.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For off road experiences trail shoes are a must.

One key difference that Goose is ignoring to disclose to you is that they have "kevlar" in the sole to avoid punctures which occur when stepping onto rocks. Get some. Your feet will bless you if you do. If you use normal shoes, your shoes will curse you. Money well spent.
I was mostly kidding. I went hiking yesterday with my family and was cursing not having worn actual hiking shoes. I wore some old running shoes and could feel every thing under foot.

Most of the trails that I run on are pretty well groomed, so trail shoes are not necessary, but on a rocky trail, it does make a big difference.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
When you say that he just recently got into running, what exactly does that mean? I take it to be that this is his first year of getting serious about the sport.

If so, you don't really like him very much, do you?
He's been running almost 2 months now, so it's all good.

Actually, I warned him that it was going to be hell for a few miles, but he wanted to do it. I made him bring his Camelbak 70oz bag and I also made sure he ran very slow. He's a tough guy and I feel pretty confident in my ability to coach a newbie, so I let him come along. I ended up running about 2 miles longer than he did because I kept circling back to find him since I wanted him to go slow. He's none the worse for wear today, and actually thanked me for pushing him out of his comfort zone. But no, I wouldn't recommend that run to most new runners.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
um.... what are trail shoes? I just saw that I'll be doing my second leg at around midnight or very early the following morning. Holy cow.
Just to be clear, I don't recommend you go buy trail shoes just for that leg if you are never going to wear them again. Just plan on feeling every rock and pebble you step on with the bottom of your foot. That road is very rocky. If it's raining, it will be muddy as well.

Also, your second leg is going to be freezing cold, so I would recommend at least a long sleeve tech shirt. I was miserable last year during the night, it's cold up in those mountains.

This race isn't like a fully supported road race where they give you a drink every mile. You and your team are on your own, so be sure and bring everything you will need to stay comfortable.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #18
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Just to be clear, I don't recommend you go buy trail shoes just for that leg if you are never going to wear them again. Just plan on feeling every rock and pebble you step on with the bottom of your foot. That road is very rocky. If it's raining, it will be muddy as well.

Also, your second leg is going to be freezing cold, so I would recommend at least a long sleeve tech shirt. I was miserable last year during the night, it's cold up in those mountains.

This race isn't like a fully supported road race where they give you a drink every mile. You and your team are on your own, so be sure and bring everything you will need to stay comfortable.
I would recommend you buy trail shoes. You'll ruin yourself for the rest of the race. That gravel road is the first leg, right?

No...you could get by without them. But if you hike at all, I'd get them. If you just use them for trail runs and hikes, they'll last forever, and they don't cost any more than a pair of hiking boots. Very few hiking trails require real ankle support anyway, and you'll appreciate the lighter weight.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
Runner Coug

Quote:
Speaking of Wasatch Back, how are you doing your sleeping? We're doing it for the first time this year. I think I'm going to be doing legs 1/13/25. We have a little popup trailer that we were going to camp in at East Canyon. We were going to try going out in shifts of three--so have 13, 14, 15 for legs 13-15, switch out for 16-18, and get 13-15 some extra sleep. But it's kind of tricky because it leaves either 15 or 16 running in the middle of the night without support for a stretch in the middle of the night. There are 5 women and me on the van and they're understandably not excited about running in the middle of the night alone. Any ideas? Are you having a pacer run/bike with your night runners?
I just read this post again and I'm not exactly sure I know what you're saying, but I don't think leaving anyone alone without support for any stretch is a good idea even in the day, much less in the black of night. Do not leave any of your runners on their own just so everyone else can get more sleep. Being dead tired, dirty and hungry are part of the relay's charm, part of what makes it difficult. Everyone has to suck it up together and get through the rest of the race sleep deprived and tired.