cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 03-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Anyone ever see those films of harvest time in Africa where the rats are hopping around in the grain fields like locusts? They trap them in gunny (sp?)sacks and then drown them and then after the harvest is done spear them with spits and roast them hair tail and all over hot coals. The fur burns off, the tails curl up to inconsequence, and the skin gets crispy; then they pull the succulant breast meat off the rib cage and eat it. I saw a documentary about this once. It's absolutely true.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Anyone ever see those films of harvest time in Africa where the rats are hopping around in the grain fields like locusts? They trap them in gunny (sp?)sacks and then drown them and then after the harvest is done spear them with spits and roast them hair tail and all over hot coals. The fur burns off, the tails curl up to inconsequence, and the skin gets crispy; then they pull the succulant breast meat off the rib cage and eat it. I saw a documentary about this once. It's absolutely true.
What is absolutely true, that you saw a documentary about rat meat, or that rat meat is harvested and prepared in the manner described?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 AM   #33
SeattleUte

This is an entertaining article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/20/wo...=5070&emc=eta1

"Mr. Harda and three deputies strode through these lanes like Ghostbusters, cages in hand, nodding at passers-by for whom their arrival is a daily reassurance. They stopped at food warehouses full of sacks of rice, sugar and lentils. Many had installed cages the day before and found a specimen or two. Mr. Harda gathered the catches into a single, swarming cage.

By 10:05 a.m., they had two full cages in custody. Now the rats had to die.

The cages were dipped one by one into a bucket, but the bucket was too short and many of the rats managed to keep their noses above the water level. When the cage was restored to dry ground, the rats patiently rearranged their fur as if nothing had happened.

But Mr. Harda had an alternative plan, which was not subtle or hygienic but was terrifyingly effective. One of his deputies plucked the rats from the cage one by one and, with the vigor of a Whack-a-Mole player, slammed each one onto the ground. The rat would convulse with shock, then suddenly go still. In some cases, its limbs would gyrate, Elvis-like, for a final few seconds. A few especially resilient souls briefly resurrected themselves to make a last, death-defying jump. And then they, too, died.

The men killed 26 rats in five minutes. Afterward, a small fraction would be sent to a laboratory to be tested for bubonic plague."

—Paul Auster
Old 07-20-2007, 04:54 AM   #34
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

But Mr. Harda had an alternative plan, which was not subtle or hygienic but was terrifyingly effective. One of his deputies plucked the rats from the cage one by one and, with the vigor of a Whack-a-Mole player, slammed each one onto the ground. The rat would convulse with shock, then suddenly go still. In some cases, its limbs would gyrate, Elvis-like, for a final few seconds. A few especially resilient souls briefly resurrected themselves to make a last, death-defying jump. And then they, too, died.
Michael Vick and the Bad Newz Kennelz should look for work in India.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #35
SeattleUte

A few days ago my wife was sitting in the New Orleans air port and a great big rat ran by in front of her.

—Paul Auster
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #36
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I LOVE rat stories.
When I was a little kid, I was pretty lonely and didnt have many friends (not much has changed as an adult...). Anyway, I was getting bullied an awful lot and having a miserable time.

Out of the blue, I became friends with this really cool rat who would hang out with me and cheer me up when I was sad.

After awhile, the rat started big-timing me and telling me what to do. His rat friends started lashing out at me and it wasnt so much fun to hang with them anymore. The cops had to get involved and they wiped out all the rats, but my friend survived.

I wrote a song about him, but I am too embarassed to sing it for you here.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #37
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
There's a video on CNN detailing it.

Man, do I hate rats and mice. As Zulu and I can attest, it is very difficult to sleep in their presence.

My dad has had rats invade his garden, so he has set out a trap that we got at a chinese supermarket. He has caught and killed many of them. Good work.

I think I am going to do the same. I don't have particular reason to think I have a lot of rats around (although I did see one loping thru our yard a year or two ago). But I do have a particular hatred for them since my mission, when I often employed hand-to-hand combat killing them in our mission shacks.

Please join me in fighting this rat plague! Person who kills the most rats gets a custom title!
Not a rat story but...

My wife and I had mice in our house this winter. One mouse in particular kept freaking out my wife by coming into our upstairs family room and looking at her before running off. One night he did this while I was home. I went downstairs and got my long tongs I use for grilling in the summer. I then tried to corner the mouse, it made a run for it and I caught it with the tongs. I took it outside and stepped on it.

The other mouse hung out in our pantry. My wife was screaming about him one night and I put on ski gloves, went into the pantry, caught him with my gloved hand and, as he tried to bite me I crushed him by making a fist.

Stupid mice. They should have gone into the gay dude's house next door. I guarantee their crushing deaths wouldn't have happened there.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote