cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Solution for Baby Boomer Medicare Crisis Found!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc...ws/#cnnSTCText
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This story makes K-dog's heart warm for sure.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This story makes K-dog's heart warm for sure.
Mike, the hypocricy of you and your liberal buddies I guess is beyond your comprehension. This is a society and culture that is allowing this to happen. I gather you are dismayed by it. The Taliban and thier Ilk demean women and treat them horribly. I assume in both cases you and your liberal buddies support "womens rights".

Or do you?? You support womens rights in America. Somewhere that is easy to bitch and moan and complain. However, the treatment of women in fundamentalist Islamic society is their business, right.

I think your only concern for the women in India deals with the chance to take a shot at K-Dog.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Mike, the hypocricy of you and your liberal buddies I guess is beyond your comprehension. This is a society and culture that is allowing this to happen. I gather you are dismayed by it. The Taliban and thier Ilk demean women and treat them horribly. I assume in both cases you and your liberal buddies support "womens rights".

Or do you?? You support womens rights in America. Somewhere that is easy to bitch and moan and complain. However, the treatment of women in fundamentalist Islamic society is their business, right.

I think your only concern for the women in India deals with the chance to take a shot at K-Dog.
actually I despise many things about Islamic culture and, in this case, Hindu culture.

I think I have been very upfront and clear about how much I don't like these things.

What I AM tired of is people who claim that the govt. should not do anything to help others. It will all be "taken care of" by the private sector.

Ironically, those that claim the private sector will take care of everything are most often the ones not involved in any charitable efforts. Fascinating irony, I'm sure you will agree.

Poor kid who can't get healthcare? Sucks to be you. Sorry we canceled CHIP and medicaid.

Spinster with no family who worked as a maid, and now no money? Sucks to be you. Sorry that we canceled social security and medicare.

etc. etc.

I don't give a damn about K-dog. He's part of the fat of the meat, that gets lopped off and tossed to the dogs.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
actually I despise many things about Islamic culture and, in this case, Hindu culture.

I think I have been very upfront and clear about how much I don't like these things.

What I AM tired of is people who claim that the govt. should not do anything to help others. It will all be "taken care of" by the private sector.

Ironically, those that claim the private sector will take care of everything are most often the ones not involved in any charitable efforts. Fascinating irony, I'm sure you will agree.

Poor kid who can't get healthcare? Sucks to be you. Sorry we canceled CHIP and medicaid.

Spinster with no family who worked as a maid, and now no money? Sucks to be you. Sorry that we canceled social security and medicare.

etc. etc.

I don't give a damn about K-dog. He's part of the fat of the meat, that gets lopped off and tossed to the dogs.
Link?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:

It would be interesting to see a study done on who contributes more to charity, liberals or conservatives. Dollar wise the libs have some pretty big givers in Gates and Buffet. However, I still think at least number of people wise the conservatives donate to charity more often than libs.

Libs are all about giving to others. Taking money from some and giving it to others makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
It would be interesting to see a study done on who contributes more to charity, liberals or conservatives. Dollar wise the libs have some pretty big givers in Gates and Buffet. However, I still think at least number of people wise the conservatives donate to charity more often than libs.

Libs are all about giving to others. Taking money from some and giving it to others makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
It would also be interesting to see how much service the average LDS congregation gives to the local community versus other churches.

My experience is that it is much less.

You have to consider, on the liberals vs. conservative argument, about the fact that the average liberal is very much more poor. People barely able to feed, shelter and clothe themselves aren't voting GOP for the most part.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You have to consider, on the liberals vs. conservative argument, about the fact that the average liberal is very much more poor. People barely able to feed, shelter and clothe themselves aren't voting GOP for the most part.
I don't believe that's the case. The heart of the Democratic party is found in white collar urban areas where families live on two-incomes and few or no children. Areas with lower income and higher birthrates are predominantly Republican. The days of the Democrat as the people's party are over.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I don't believe that's the case. The heart of the Democratic party is found in white collar urban areas where families live on two-incomes and few or no children. Areas with lower income and higher birthrates are predominantly Republican. The days of the Democrat as the people's party are over.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/
I think you're right that the rural poor vote GOP. But the urban poor vote Democratic.

You do have your professional base in the democratic party, but you also have your blue-collar union workers, and of course the working poor in urban areas, and the non-working poor in urban areas.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
It would also be interesting to see how much service the average LDS congregation gives to the local community versus other churches.

My experience is that it is much less.

You make a valid point about the average liberal being poorer. What made me think about it was remembering how little Gore gave to charity vs Bush. You have all these Hollywood libs running around giving concerts and appearances to raise other peoples money for charity but I wonder how much they give out of their own pocket.

As far as the LDS thing goes. Church comes first. If you are active in the church, how much time do you have for the community.