cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Season openings...

Next week are a bunch of terrific show season premieres:

Tuesday at 8pm: Veronica Mars (the CW, Comcast channel 15)
Wednesday at 8pm: Lost (ABC, channel 4 in Utah)
Friday evening: Battlestar Galactica (Sci Fi channel)

I think it is safe to say that these are probably 3 of the 5 best shows on television.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Next week are a bunch of terrific show season premieres:

Tuesday at 8pm: Veronica Mars (the CW, Comcast channel 15)
Wednesday at 8pm: Lost (ABC, channel 4 in Utah)
Friday evening: Battlestar Galactica (Sci Fi channel)

I think it is safe to say that these are probably 3 of the 5 best shows on television.
You'll be happy to know that on your recommendation, I am now getting seasons 1 and 2 of Veronica Mars from Netflix.

I too can't wait for Lost. Haven't watched Battlestar, and at present I'm trying to watch too many new shows to add another one. So far I've liked Heroes, Jericho, Kidnapped, Smith. Don't know how long I'll keep following them, as that depends on when/if they start sucking. Also looking forward to The Nine, and of course once Project Runway ends it's Top Chef time.

Oh and of course, Colbert. But that's a given.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, so the other night the Veronica Mars promo comes on and I mention to my wife that "the guys on CG say it's a pretty good show."

She gave me that look.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean the look 'I love you honey and all of your smart friends on the board.'?

Or was it the look of: 'Honey, you are a dork' look...if that was the look, oh man, I know it all too well.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Who gets the, "well if you have that much time to post with your dorky friends, you could be much more efficient and get your son to finish he eagle project, while doing the laundry and helping your son with his math?"
Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

The "look" means everything and one thing.

That one thing is: "When will you ever grow up?"

All that said, I love Battlestar Galactica. Can't wait for the new season.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road
Default Lost is lame

At the risk of getting flamed, I'm going to say that Lost is one of the lamest shows I've ever seen. You could skip the whole first two seasons then watch the little one-hour summary that aired last night and be completely up to date on the story.

It seems to me like the writers started out with the deserted island concept but failed to realize it would only be good for about two or three episodes. In order to maintain viewer interest the writers had to resort to increasingly silly/unrealistic/fantasy plotlines. Thus, every new episode of Lost not only fails to resolve any questions but simply raises more questions. Think about it - the audience doesn't know any more about what's going after the end of the second season than they did after the very first episode. Once the writers run out of new twists, they'll have to end the show by some lame device such as having the fat man wake up and realize it was all just a dream.

I know it's a popular show - I just don't understand why. I think Prison Break and 24 are of equal lameness. I guess the serial drama just isn't for me.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
At the risk of getting flamed, I'm going to say that Lost is one of the lamest shows I've ever seen. You could skip the whole first two seasons then watch the little one-hour summary that aired last night and be completely up to date on the story.

It seems to me like the writers started out with the deserted island concept but failed to realize it would only be good for about two or three episodes. In order to maintain viewer interest the writers had to resort to increasingly silly/unrealistic/fantasy plotlines. Thus, every new episode of Lost not only fails to resolve any questions but simply raises more questions. Think about it - the audience doesn't know any more about what's going after the end of the second season than they did after the very first episode. Once the writers run out of new twists, they'll have to end the show by some lame device such as having the fat man wake up and realize it was all just a dream.

I know it's a popular show - I just don't understand why. I think Prison Break and 24 are of equal lameness. I guess the serial drama just isn't for me.
I don't want to say that you can't have an opinion. I just want to point out that millions disagree with you, which apparently to me means that Lost is doing something right.

I can't wait for Lost. I was a doubter in season one, and refused to watch. Now I'm hooked, and I think a lot of that has to do less with the plot lines and more with the great job they've done establishing and exploring each of the main characters. If it was only the questions that kept people coming back, the show would've been done a long time ago.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 AM   #9
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
I don't want to say that you can't have an opinion. I just want to point out that millions disagree with you, which apparently to me means that Lost is doing something right.
When it comes to TV, I'm used to having millions disagree with me because I think the following shows are lame as well:

Survivor
American Idol
Dancing with the Stars

And of course millions of people love those shows. Funny how I hate Lost so much but know so much about it. Chalk that up to a guy at work being a big Lost freak - he can't stop talking about it. Perhaps that contributes to my dislike of it as well.

At least I'm not a complete loner/contrarian because I do enjoy Law and Order (the original version) and CSI (all three versions) and millions enjoy those shows along with me. Like the saying goes: "There's no accounting for taste"
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote