cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default CBS may cancel Dec 10 debate due to possible CBS writers strike

So I've seen this postulated a couple of times, and now Drudge is headlining it. There's a looming threat of a CBS writers strike (which apparently is separate from the entertainment-world writers strike), and it's possible they may cancel a Dec 10 Democrat debate as a result.

Can someone in the broadcast world explain this to me? Why would you need writers for a debate? Can Katie Couric not come up with her own questions? Do they really need someone to write, "And now we're going to take a brief commercial break"?

What would CBS writers "write" in a live televised debate? I don't get it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
So I've seen this postulated a couple of times, and now Drudge is headlining it. There's a looming threat of a CBS writers strike (which apparently is separate from the entertainment-world writers strike), and it's possible they may cancel a Dec 10 Democrat debate as a result.

Can someone in the broadcast world explain this to me? Why would you need writers for a debate? Can Katie Couric not come up with her own questions? Do they really need someone to write, "And now we're going to take a brief commercial break"?

What would CBS writers "write" in a live televised debate? I don't get it.

Yeah, I thought that was very strange too. How hard is it to ask "what is your position on Iraq?" or any other major issue?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone considered that perhaps its the candidates responses that the CBS writers write?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Couric can certainly write a script for the broadcast, but she, no doubt, has other duties.

Perhaps the technical people are part of the writer's strike? They write documents that plan out what camera shoots what person, when, and from what distance, and so on. Many of these decisions are modified by the technical director during the broadcast, but there is pre-production documentation for this kind of thing.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote