cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Look, I'm not asking for a deep mysterious doctrine to be taught. I'm not asking for the heavens to be opened. I'm not asking for a new Pentecost.

I'm only asking for an explanation of why an entire race was denied eternal blessings.
Do you really want an answer, or do you want someone to attempt to answer the question? It sounds more like you want someone to pay you some attention.

I'm only asking for members to move on!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Do you really want an answer, or do you want someone to attempt to answer the question? It sounds more like you want someone to pay you some attention.

I'm only asking for members to move on!
Move on from what? A politician's answer ("That's past us")?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:11 AM   #13
tooblue

Quote:
Move on from what? A politician's answer ("That's past us")?
And what of church history since the reversal ... how long has it been? What aspects of church history is most relevant to your children? What is the point of your question -what is your motive?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
And what of church history since the reversal ... how long has it been? What aspects of church history is most relevant to your children? What is the point of your question -what is your motive?
My motive is so that when your kids ask you why it was, you don't have to make something up ("probably for the same reason non-Levites were denied"), or have to tell them "We don't know, it's never been told to us".
Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 AM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
Sounds like rationalization at best
Sounds like he is convinced he is smarter than the average person, that the church and the general body is out of touch -out of reach even ... that he 'deserves' or is owed something more.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #16
tooblue

Quote:
My motive is so that when your kids ask you why it was, you don't have to make something up ("probably for the same reason non-Levites were denied"), or have to tell them "We don't know, it's never been told to us".
Why would you make something up? Why would you say it's never been told to us? Is that how you answer when asked about faith? Who is responsible for your answers.

Why would you not use it as a learning and teaching opportunity? Why would you not ask; well, since the reversal how has the church acted, how have times changed? Is the issue a stumbling block or an opportunity?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #17
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I read most of it. I htink that if push came to shove and SU was forced to bare his soul about the Church (as opposed to the muck-stirring he enjoys so much here and on CB) he would give answers not too far from what SM gave in this interview.
So SU is the McMurrin of CG. Tex is Joseph F. Smith.

We know that David O. McKay was equally defensive of each of them when they came under attack. So who is the David O. McKay of CG? You creek?
Old 12-15-2007, 04:28 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The death knell was when they hired a candy bar salesman who didn't have the sense to not copy and paste his addresses to the university.

The death knell came when BYU decided to take a moral stand. Against the sculpture "The Kiss."

I really have no sense of what the future holds for BYU. And that's why my discretionary funds don't go to support it. They don't need my money to do more of the same.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:30 AM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
So SU is the McMurrin of CG. Tex is Joseph F. Smith.

We know that David O. McKay was equally defensive of each of them when they came under attack. So who is the David O. McKay of CG? You creek?
Not me. I wish I was such a good person.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 AM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I read most of it. I htink that if push came to shove and SU was forced to bare his soul about the Church (as opposed to the muck-stirring he enjoys so much here and on CB) he would give answers not too far from what SM gave in this interview.
This is puzzling. I had not read this interview for about 24 years and only read the first 2-3 pages today. The part I read today still seems to me to be very good. Clearly McMurrin remains among the best and the brightest LDS culture has produced, and clearly he was a man of enormous integrity. I was once very familiar with the interview, and my memory is that I agreed with about all of what he said, and I'd be surprised if that has changed. All of you should read this. His comments are timeless.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-15-2007 at 05:06 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote