cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You're correct, it was a plane. myboynoah's post was subliminally affecting my thoughts when I posted that.

And yes, we Utahns in general have a particular accent, though in Utah, the ones with the accent are technically from out of state. The Utah accent is only an accent in another state, if that makes sense.
It makes a little sense. Except that Southerners are aware that they have accents in their home states. Maybe I am just jealous because I never could get Utahnics down correctly.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
It makes a little sense. Except that Southerners are aware that they have accents in their home states. Maybe I am just jealous because I never could get Utahnics down correctly.
Nor could I. My mother wouldn't allow it.

Agreed about Southerners. I think most Utahns don't realize that they have an accent. My theory on this is because so many have never crossed the state border - though Utah isn't alone with residents that like to stay put.

It's tough to recognize an accent when for many folks, a trip to the big city means driving from Duchesne to Provo "ta do sum shoppin'."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's tough to recognize an accent when for many folks, a trip to the big city means driving from Duchesne to Provo "ta do sum shoppin'."
I occasionally attend church in Bicknell, Utah when visiting relatives. Occasionally someone will stand up in F&T meeting and talk about the need for maintaining standards when going on a trip to the big city. The "big city" in this case is Richfield.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nor could I. My mother wouldn't allow it.

Agreed about Southerners. I think most Utahns don't realize that they have an accent. My theory on this is because so many have never crossed the state border - though Utah isn't alone with residents that like to stay put.

This is a massive thread hijack, but that reminds me..
When I was a young man I sold furniture for RC Willey. One day I sold some furniture to some country folk. I asked the man where they were from to write in their address. "Tabby" he said. So I wrote Tabby, wondering where that was. So when we went to confirm the address he looked at it and said "why did you write Tabby?" I said "I thought that is what you told me."

"I meant Tabiona. Haven't you never heard of Tabiona?

Yes I have heard of Tabiona. I just didn't know that it was called Tabby for short."

He laughed with incredulity that I had never heard of Tabiona being called tabby before. I think Tabiona has maybe 1,000 residents? Talk about somebody who needs to get out more. I don't think that even Rulon Gardner could find a way to have a near death experience there.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I occasionally attend church in Bicknell, Utah when visiting relatives. Occasionally someone will stand up in F&T meeting and talk about the need for maintaining standards when going on a trip to the big city. The "big city" in this case is Richfield.
Richfield is a happening place. I believe there is a public pool there.

Bicknell is a nice quiet town. My aunt and uncle there like it, but all of their kids have bolted.

That said, I think I out-hijacked DetroitDad here.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #16
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Richfield is a happening place. I believe there is a public pool there.

Bicknell is a nice quiet town. My aunt and uncle there like it, but all of their kids have bolted.

That said, I think I out-hijacked DetroitDad here.
Bicknell Utah has the Bicknell International Film Festival
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Bicknell Utah has the Bicknell International Film Festival
I've heard about it, but never had the chance to see it. I just may have to schedule time for it this year. I just hope it's during the deer hunt so I can kill Bambi too.