cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Orson Scott Card on marriage...

...and "gay marriage".

http://mormontimes.com/print.php?storyID=1586
Old 07-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
That is a scary dude. I didn't even have to read the second to last paragraph to reach that conclusion.

The article is all over the place, and he doesn't appear to place a premium on establishing a logical nexus between gay marriage and the destruction of marriage as an institution for heterosexual couples. Indeed, he lists many things that heterosexuals are doing to destroy the institution of marriage which, in my opinion, have a far more detrimental impact on marriage than gay marriage ever will.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
He should stick to writing trashy novels. The article is nothing but a mass of contraditions. It begins with a diatribe against the California Supreme Court for impairing democracy (conveniently ignoring the Prop. 8 vote), then follows with this gem:

"Here's the irony: There is no branch of government with the authority to redefine marriage. Marriage is older than government. Its meaning is universal: It is the permanent or semipermanent bond between a man and a woman, establishing responsibilities between the couple and any children that ensue."

He doesn't want democracy, he wants a theocracy.

He promises his next column will be about the science of homosexuality. Oh boy, that should be interesting, Orson Scott Card fantasy novelist expounding on the science of homosexuality.

He's using every age old rationale to justify his opposition to gays, without any sense of consistency or cohesion. He's really pissed that you can't say gays are freaks and not be called homophobe. Well, here goes, Orson Scott Card is a homophobe freak. A gay hater. And a pretty darn angry one at that.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Indeed, he lists many things that heterosexuals are doing to destroy the institution of marriage which, in my opinion, have a far more detrimental impact on marriage than gay marriage ever will.
Another way (of many) he's internally inconsistent. As I noted in an earlier post, heterosexuals have already launched deadly assaults on marriage (no fault divorce, etc.), and it seems to be surviving.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That is a scary dude. I didn't even have to read the second to last paragraph to reach that conclusion.

The article is all over the place, and he doesn't appear to place a premium on establishing a logical nexus between gay marriage and the destruction of marriage as an institution for heterosexual couples. Indeed, he lists many things that heterosexuals are doing to destroy the institution of marriage which, in my opinion, have a far more detrimental impact on marriage than gay marriage ever will.
LOL. He begins with a diatribe against the California Supreme Court abridging democracy, then ends with the Hitlarian:

"How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

"Biological imperatives trump laws. American government cannot fight against marriage and hope to endure. If the Constitution is defined in such a way as to destroy the privileged position of marriage, it is that insane Constitution, not marriage, that will die."

He's certifiable.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't read him. He's the embarrassing kind of apologist.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I saw that this morning and cringed. Every now and then he writes a decent article. But this is some of his worst work.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't read him. He's the embarrassing kind of apologist.
Enders Game and Enders Shadow were fun books. I was not aware that he fashioned himself as an authority on the science of homosexuality. He should go back to writing fiction, he was at least decent at it.

Last edited by Flystripper; 07-30-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote