cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Torturing Mormons

Mike hasn't gotten pissed off in a while. This may help. From a July article in Vanity Fair:

Quote:
Two psychologists in particular played a central role: James Elmer Mitchell, who was attached to the C.I.A. team that eventually arrived in Thailand, and his colleague Bruce Jessen. Neither served on the task force or are A.P.A. members. Both worked in a classified military training program known as sere—for Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape—which trains soldiers to endure captivity in enemy hands. Mitchell and Jessen reverse-engineered the tactics inflicted on sere trainees for use on detainees in the global war on terror, according to psychologists and others with direct knowledge of their activities. The C.I.A. put them in charge of training interrogators in the brutal techniques, including "waterboarding," at its network of "black sites." In a statement, Mitchell and Jessen said, "We are proud of the work we have done for our country."
The agency had famously little experience in conducting interrogations or in eliciting "ticking time bomb" information from detainees. Yet, remarkably, it turned to Mitchell and Jessen, who were equally inexperienced and had no proof of their tactics' effectiveness, say several of their former colleagues. Steve Kleinman, an Air Force Reserve colonel and expert in human-intelligence operations, says he finds it astonishing that the C.I.A. "chose two clinical psychologists who had no intelligence background whatsoever, who had never conducted an interrogation … to do something that had never been proven in the real world."
The tactics were a "voodoo science," says Michael Rolince, former section chief of the F.B.I.'s International Terrorism Operations. According to a person familiar with the methods, the basic approach was to "break down [the detainees] through isolation, white noise, completely take away their ability to predict the future, create dependence on interrogators."
Interrogators who were sent for classified training inevitably wound up in a Mitchell-Jessen "shop," and some balked at their methods. Instead of the careful training touted by President Bush, some recruits allegedly received on-the-job training during brutal interrogations that effectively unfolded as live demonstrations.
Mitchell and Jessen's methods were so controversial that, among colleagues, the reaction to their names alone became a litmus test of one's attitude toward coercion and human rights. Their critics called them the "Mormon mafia" (a reference to their shared religion) and the "poster boys" (referring to the F.B.I.'s "most wanted" posters, which are where some thought their activities would land them).
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/f...urrentPage=all
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an idea: WHy don't you start a poll to see how we all feel about this?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It does seem that Mormonism's hands have been there are every turn of this sordid time in our country that embraces torture.

I'm hoping this bites Romney in the ass, and I may be writing the NYTimes editors to make sure they run the story at the appropriate time.

But can't talk more, have to drive to bike rally.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It does seem that Mormonism's hands have been there are every turn of this sordid time in our country that embraces torture.

I'm hoping this bites Romney in the ass, and I may be writing the NYTimes editors to make sure they run the story at the appropriate time.

But can't talk more, have to drive to bike rally.
Why would you wish Romney harm from something he had no control over?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why would you wish Romney harm from something he had no control over?
Mike takes the anti-Romney line to troll the mullahs. It's that simple.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Mike takes the anti-Romney line to troll the mullahs. It's that simple.
Mike is surprisingly uncharitable toward Romney, even while he cuts Hillary complete slack. Although Mike is intelligent enough for politics, I doubt he has the stomach for what it takes to be effective, given his strong philosophical leanings.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mike is surprisingly uncharitable toward Romney, even while he cuts Hillary complete slack. Although Mike is intelligent enough for politics, I doubt he has the stomach for what it takes to be effective, given his strong philosophical leanings.
Mike was interested in Romney, to the point where he said he would consider sending him money, prior to his comment about doubling Gitmo. At that point, it appears that Mike has taken the stand that Romney has sinned against the greater light and cuts him no slack.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Mike was interested in Romney, to the point where he said he would consider sending him money, prior to his comment about doubling Gitmo. At that point, it appears that Mike has taken the stand that Romney has sinned against the greater light and cuts him no slack.
But he has no idea if any Dem would be better.

For me, no President will go far on the torture issue, because it doesn't sell presidencies, and it's a small ticket item. I doubt any of the candidates are really far apart on this issue. They will rely upon advisors as what is required and what is lawful.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we know if James Elmer Mitchell and Bruce Jessen are active members of the church? Do they have callings?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Do we know if James Elmer Mitchell and Bruce Jessen are active members of the church? Do they have callings?
Yes, they live in my ward. They have been called into the Young Men's program. Anytime one of the boys gets too rowdy, he gets to spend time with Brother Mitchell and Brother Jessen.

We have a very reverent group.

This post is TIC for the humor impaired.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote