cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default The cycling season is winding down so...

what are your goals for next year. I need something to aim for or I just turn into a big jelly doughnut during the winter so here goes...

1. Lotoja - I hope to not only finish but to finish strong and have it be a real positive experience and not a just a grind.

2. 4 organized centuries - In my 20+ years of riding I had never done an organized century until this year. I did two this year and really enjoyed them.

3. Break 1 hr 20 min for the little sprint triathlon (1/2 s 13 b 3 r) they have in town here.

4. 3000 miles before Lotoja

5. Lose ten pounds off this fat gut.

A goal not written is only a wish and a goal put out to the world subjects you to public ridicule if not reached so this is my reason for doing this.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This will be my first year to do two centuries (the personal one and the rally on Saturday, assuming I don't wreck out on Sat).

Me and my dad are thinking about Lotoja. But that will take serious commitment, for someone in Texas without a lot of miles, no mountain experience, and a problem with elevation.

The idea of doing a racing crit is in the back of my mind.

Another goal is to some morning rides (need lights). Also winter clothes so I can ride in colder weather.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I've entered Lotoja two years running and circumstances have prevented me from competing. So that's a primary goal.

I'd like to qualify again for Worlds in 70.3, and break five hours.

I'd like get some points in a few cycling races, meaning finish in the top ten in a Cat 4 or Masters race.

In a century, I'd like to break five hours.

In a crit, I'd actually like to be up front so that I could consider participating in the sprint.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If you come down and do HHH I guarantee a sub 5 hour century. My father at the age 58, 20lb overweight, did it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I haven't really thought much about next year yet, but I also definitely need some goals to keep me motivated during those mind-numbingly long hours on the trainer in the winter in the garage. A couple of my initial thoughts about next year:

- I would love to do a half ironman. I've been picking Archaea's brain for some good events nearby and I think I should be able to pull it off. The bike portion will be a piece of cake. The run should be doable without too much trouble. The swim may very well kill me. I would just be looking to finish and feel decent at the end.

- I think I'll take the year off the Death Ride. One of my newbie buddies wants to do it in 2009 (he doesn't think he'll be ready next year. I disagree.). Its a great ride and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, I just don't know if it will fit in my training with everything else going on.

- I will probably end up doing the Tour of the Unknown Coast again despite my miserable experience this spring. This will make 4 years in a row. Uggh.

- The Sawtooth Century sounds fun. I just looked it up - Sun Valley is 700 miles from here. Thats a long way for a weekend ride, but we'll see when we get closer.

Other than that, my buddies are still trying to get me to do a couple of road races in the 4/5 category. There are also a few local centuries that are good options if the calendar is open.

Any other ideas?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you do Lotoja with Viking, Mike and me next year?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why don't you do Lotoja with Viking, Mike and me next year?
One of my buddies, who is a small aircraft pilot, offered to fly a couple of us out there next year for Lotoja. This was right before he announced a move to Idaho Falls.

It would be a fun trip. I'll have to think about it. A lot of it also depends on how cool our new jerseys will be.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote