cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hard to imagine Romney not being the nominee at this point

Great win for him in New Hampshire.

I'm glad Huntsman had a respectable finish. The only way he can really continue is if his dad pumps in $10 million right now to his super-PAC. Even that would probably be too late.

Huntsman will run again, and it would not surprise me if he ended up as the nominee.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Romney is certainly the front runner, though I remember at this point four years ago when Hillary Clinton was the front runner and Obama was putting up Ron Paul type numbers. Speaking of Ron Paul, he called out the other four to drop out so the public could focus on the only two serious candidates, himself and Romney. It will be interesting to see how many Anti-Romneyites latch onto Paul. It will also be interesting to see if Paul loses the nomination and runs as an Independent, essentially splitting the vote and handing Obama a reelection.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

1. Obama won Iowa. And Hillary's win in NH was an upset.
2. Paul will not win the nomination.
3. Paul will not run as an independent. He wants to have a role in the convention and the planks. He also does not want to create ill-will towards his movement. And lastly, he does not want to ruin it for his son Rand, whom he hopes will be president one day. The only way that Paul would consider running as an independent is if he felt totally disrespected by the nominee. Romney has made zero indication of doing that, in fact, the Paul campaign feels like Romney gives Paul more respect than any of the other candidates.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Romney claims to be on the right. If that's so, will he select for his VP the only candidate truly on the right, Ron Paul, or take the candidate that is the most like him, Jon Huntsman? Huntsman was unique amongst the GOP field as being the only one honest about his position in the middle, while people like Romney lied to everyone insisting he's really on the right. Huntsman would help him appeal to both sides, and it would be a true Romney type of move.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't think he can pick Huntsman because Huntsman is Mormon. I just can't see 2 Mormons being on the ticket, as dumb as it is to be disqualifying.

My early pick for VP is Condie Rice. Respected, moderate, black, smart, woman, foreign policy (cuts both ways because of her neocon involvement).

Helps with the female vote (maybe), and defuses the racist argument against Mormon Mitt (maybe).
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My early pick for VP is Condie Rice. Respected, moderate, black, smart, woman, foreign policy (cuts both ways because of her neocon involvement).

Helps with the female vote (maybe), and defuses the racist argument against Mormon Mitt (maybe).
Did you know Romney is half hispanic? He should pimp that more.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't think he can pick Huntsman because Huntsman is Mormon. I just can't see 2 Mormons being on the ticket, as dumb as it is to be disqualifying.

Don't you know Mormons are counseled not to work together (men/women) in leadership positions?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yes. They can work vertically. But not horizontally.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

hmmm, latest poll on Realclear (Insight?) has Romney at 23 and Gingrich at 21.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here's my out-of-left-field prediction....it's unlikely, but not so unlikely as to be not worth a prediction from me (LOL).

Gingrich will run as an independent, as a populist, attempting to simultaneously channel Occupy [x] and the Tea Party. With the plan of ruining it for Romney.